MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a new APS. I occasionally have no throttle. I have been looking on the internet and no luck. Also does anyone know what is involved in changing one out….will I be able to get to it? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will give them a look. Let me know how it goes. I would like to try and do mine myself as well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've chanced the APS today.

It wasn't that hard to do. The upper bolts from above and the lower from beneath and nothing that had to be taken off besides the big black thing under the engine... It was tight but doable. I was sure that the lurching and hoping should be gone when starting but it was not!!! I got really mad :mad::mad::mad: and have done the relearn process about 30 times today. I've done it before but not that many times like today. The one that you shift to 3 and coast from above 3000 and put in 2 below 3000 and coast to under 2000 and stop the car. That seems to help.

When reversing I have no problems at all. Before i always had a lurching/hoping when reversing even if the car was warm. Forward i got a little hoping still but not that bad. One thing that is gone is that after starting and lift the acc in first gear i had lurching but now even if I lift the acc at 4000 in 1 it's like lifting the acc in a manual car. But as i said before: when everything is warm I have no problems.

Gonna see tomorrow after starting the engine cold...

One more thing. After i was done and started the engine the Check engine didn't come off. I checked and it was p1120 pedal sensor circut (APS). I erased the code and it has not come back.

My work place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My APS came in as well, but not sure how you were able to get to the bolts. I called a dealership and they want $350 just to install the part. Did you need any special tools? Do you have to do a relearn?:confused: I have no idea what a relearn is or how to do it. You have been a great help.:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
My APS came in as well, but not sure how you were able to get to the bolts. I called a dealership and they want $350 just to install the part. Did you need any special tools? Do you have to do a relearn?:confused: I have no idea what a relearn is or how to do it. You have been a great help.:)
The upper bolts from above and the lower from underneath. Take away the big black thing under the engine/gearbox. Laying on my back I unhooked the wire and used 8 mm spanner just to get the bolts loose and the I could use a really small screwdriver and unscrew the bolts. The bolts are both for 8 mm spanner and you can also use a screwdriver.

The same from above. Loosen with 8 mm spanner and then unscrew with the screwdriver. It's tight, really tight if you don't take off anything but I managed to do it without taking away anything. You have to feel the bolts because you can't always have them in view. To put the lower screw (passenger side) back again you have to hold the thing that holds the wire back and put in the screw. You can easily remove the intake tub if you want, i think that makes it easier when unscrewing the upper bolts but i'm not sure. I was not sure my self replacing the APS reading about taking away different parts to get to the APS but it was really easy. The arms got tired from underneath but that was not so bad.

But as I said before. It was a waste of money and time because my hick up when driving away really slowly is as before even with a new APS.

Well now it seems to get better because my other car totally broke down and I always drive the MR2 now days and the more I drive it seems to get better.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I found it easier with a snub nosed Phillips to take out the screws. Loosen the bottom passenger side before taking the throttle cable off, the apps spring releases and the paddle blocks it from a screwdriver if you undo the cable first. It helps to get that screw back in place if you twist the new apps back and put the screw in while it's completely off the car, the paddle will keep the screw from falling all the way out while you put the new one in position and get the other screws in.

350 sounds really really high for disconnecting a battery and intake and pulling the throttle body (the long way to do it). The short way (from below for the bottom 2 screws) takes anywhere from 5 minutes and uninjured to an hour with bloody knuckles depending on your manual dexterity. I'm in the fifteen minute with a scratch on my pinkie range. Size is a hindrance but not preventative, I'm 6'2" 270LBS and was able to get into the bottom area just fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, finally got the APS in. It was defiantly tight and cost some blood, but saved me the $350 the dealer wanted to install it. Drove it for two days now and no dead pedal yet (knock on wood). It even shifts better. Thanks to you guys that helped, I couldn’t have pulled it off without your input. Thanks again.;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah, finally got the APS in. It was defiantly tight and cost some blood, but saved me the $350 the dealer wanted to install it. Drove it for two days now and no dead pedal yet (knock on wood). It even shifts better. Thanks to you guys that helped, I couldn’t have pulled it off without your input. Thanks again.;)
Good! Always nice to do the work and also get the problems sorted out. Congratulations! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts