MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: based on the responses, don't do this. I washed it off.
I used ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine Gel on my top and it actually turned out pretty good. It didn't go on too evenly at first but I went over it with a soft wet sponge and it looks pretty good. Brings more black and shine to it and water beads right off. I'll let you know how it stays in a couple days. Anyone see anything wrong with it?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I have had several tire people state not to use any tire shine on tires as it breaks down the tire compounds and it sorta attracts dust too. On the old top of my car, cloth now, I used kiwi black shoe polish. That worked the best. Sealed the pores well and buffed up nicely.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
On the old top of my car, cloth now, I used kiwi black shoe polish. That worked the best. Sealed the pores well and buffed up nicely.
Are you talking about the wax based shoe polish? If so, I might try that.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Any of the tire shine products especially ArmorAll will harm the top because it contains silicone which will ruin ones top. It may not seem like a big deal but just one application left on for a few weeks will have a lasting effect that is not reversible.

If it were me I would wash it off with car soap and a brush before it's too late.

Shoe polish may work and although it is safe it's not exactly the best way to have a permanent solution that lasts a long time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Man...I don't know to me that's scary. That stuff will shorten the life span of your interior, I can only imagine what it would do to a top thats in direct contact with the sun.

I'd try and wash it off.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'd stay away from any petroleum based products altogether (wax is petroleum based too). Any petroleum based products put on vinyl will eventually break down the plastics in the vinyl. Had the best long term effects with simple pine-sol, cleans without an oil or soap residue and shine component is plant based so doesn't bond with hydrocarbons in plastics. My healey's top looks exactly like the day I bought the car 17 years ago.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts

I treated my top with this stuff twice over a period of a year and a half and it stays black after the first treatment. When some dickweed sliced into my top, I made a claim with insurance. The agent for the insurance company came out to see the damage and when he saw my top he said he had never seen a 10 year old convertible top look so good. I received full value for it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
i cant seem to find a purpose made softtop cleaner for my car so ive been using the leather care creme that i use on my seats so long, has UV inhibitors so it protects the top, anything wrong with this?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just had a new cloth top installed and I asked dozens of questions to the THOMAS TOP folks in Hollywood about the top. These guys have been doing this forever and Dale (the owner) said man, just use soap and water. Dont try and get fancy cause fancy stuff will wreck your top.

So I just use soap and water and keep everything else far away.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My ragtop installer said the same thing. No slimy goo for the top. (He replaced my wife's Solara top). I did refinish my seats with Kiwi shoe dye (not shoe polish). It goes on like urethane paint with a little built-in foam applicator. I'm toying with the idea of also using that on my slowly dying 9 year old MR2 top. It looks gray and faded.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just had a new cloth top installed and I asked dozens of questions to the THOMAS TOP folks in Hollywood about the top. These guys have been doing this forever and Dale (the owner) said man, just use soap and water. Dont try and get fancy cause fancy stuff will wreck your top.

So I just use soap and water and keep everything else far away.
Sounds smart. Soap and water is enough. The original vinyl top was made to last without any special maintenance. This statement comes from me that hates everything about cleaning anything interior or exterior on any car. The car was made for outside use and lasts good as it is. Get a shining car one can do and that ok but I'm not interested in what other people think about the shine on my MR2.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'd stay away from any petroleum based products altogether (wax is petroleum based too). Any petroleum based products put on vinyl will eventually break down the plastics in the vinyl. Had the best long term effects with simple pine-sol, cleans without an oil or soap residue and shine component is plant based so doesn't bond with hydrocarbons in plastics. My healey's top looks exactly like the day I bought the car 17 years ago.
Never heard of anyone using Pine Sol on a top. I've been using 303 on mine, works pretty good, but doesn't last.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have been using Meguires Extreme Tire Shine spray on my original equipment vinyl top for over 8 years, works good to keep the top black and somewhat shiny. No degradation or deterioration of the top whatsoever. The only problem is after a couple of rainstorms you have to redo it and clean the Tire shine off the windows and car since it runs down in the rain. I have also tried Mother's Back to Black wipe on liquid which lasts longer through rain, but does not shine as much.
Just my experience, others may differ.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts

I treated my top with this stuff twice over a period of a year and a half and it stays black after the first treatment. When some dickweed sliced into my top, I made a claim with insurance. The agent for the insurance company came out to see the damage and when he saw my top he said he had never seen a 10 year old convertible top look so good. I received full value for it.
I have used this product and after it was used it I did not have to reapply in over 2 years.
It's a treatment for fading tops and it is specifically designed for our type of top. All of the Griots products are quality and they work.
Experimentation is fine but if you risk your expensive top because this is one area that there is no going back once you ruin it. The only thing you can do is keep adding tire shine to mask the damage.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
I used http://global.ebay.com/RENOVOSOFT_TOPCOMPLETEREVIVER_KITSUITMGFMX5TTZ3/390084846149/item
Renovo a few weeks ago and it's like brand new. Seen a few negative comments about this product out on the web but in all honesty after following the instructions and using the entire kit- I can only attribute those negative comments to idiots who can't follow directions..

Great stuff.
That's probably great if you have a canvas top. Our tops are vinyl impregnated and require something a little more specific.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I used http://global.ebay.com/RENOVOSOFT_TOPCOMPLETEREVIVER_KITSUITMGFMX5TTZ3/390084846149/item
Renovo a few weeks ago and it's like brand new. Seen a few negative comments about this product out on the web but in all honesty after following the instructions and using the entire kit- I can only attribute those negative comments to idiots who can't follow directions..

Great stuff.
That's probably great if you have a canvas top. Our tops are vinyl impregnated and require something a little more specific.
Right, the z3 pictured on that product, which has a true canvas top, has a radically different top material than the spyder. My brother has a z3 and I can say with certainty the top material between the Spyder and the z3 is very different in surface and texture. I do not doubt your results were great, but I'd be concerned with longevity.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Right, the z3 pictured on that product, which has a true canvas top, has a radically different top material than the spyder. My brother has a z3 and I can say with certainty the top material between the Spyder and the z3 is very different in surface and texture. I do not doubt your results were great, but I'd be concerned with longevity.

They market the kit as being enough for one application, meaning 2 coats of dye and two coats of waterproofer. But the spyder top being so small- I used less than half so if need be, can do it again down the road...

Yes Dev I see your point :lol: wouldn't want to put this stuff on a vinyl top.... Then again, I can't imagine putting tire dressing on a top.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
They market the kit as being enough for one application, meaning 2 coats of dye and two coats of waterproofer. But the spyder top being so small- I used less than half so if need be, can do it again down the road...

Yes Dev I see your point :lol: wouldn't want to put this stuff on a vinyl top.... Then again, I can't imagine putting tire dressing on a top.
I don't see the product causing any damage to a vinyl top but it may not be effective as a product designed for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts