MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

i find small ashes in my car, Sometimes at the back and in corners whenever i leave it parked for overnight.

I thought it was just a temporary but i find small ashes from time to time.
Here's a picture

I am worried that this might be something toxic.

A little bit of background: this was a former smt and its now AT

Any hints? Please help

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is what happens when you remove your ash tray during a head unit install. It’s a common problem on the SMT models and therefore is always recommended to change your ash tray every 30k miles...leave it just a bit open so the ashes can find their way in of course.

On a more serious note, I can’t see much from your picture other than you have a push to start install so I’ll bring it all the way back to square one before we start throwing out theories....do you live in Cali or Oregon, or anywhere that has tens of thousands of acres of forest burning? There is no cabin air filter in the car (convertible), the seals between the inside of the car & outside aren’t as tight as a ‘normal’ sedan (again, convertible) so interior dust, etc from outside accumulates inside the car at a much quicker rate.

If this is not the case, a better picture of what you are finding & where may help. How long have you owned the car, & how long has this been going on? Do you have any issue when using the HVAC system? Have you only noticed this after you pulled the interior of the car apart?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Even if you are not that close to the fires, the ash flies everywhere. Double check to see if the top is sealing correctly when closed and the windows up, also check for any small holes or cracks in the top itself. On a side note, you installed a fully automatic transmission your MR2? Also, nice Pusbutton starter.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Not seeing the ashes in your picture. It would help to know where you are. Do you park the car with the top up or down?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if you are not that close to the fires, the ash flies everywhere. Double check to see if the top is sealing correctly when closed and the windows up, also check for any small holes or cracks in the top itself. On a side note, you installed a fully automatic transmission your MR2? Also, nice Pusbutton starter.
Wow members here reply fast. Thanks
also seems like the common denominator is top sealing.

I'll read more about sealing posts here
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H
This is what happens when you remove your ash tray during a head unit install. It’s a common problem on the SMT models and therefore is always recommended to change your ash tray every 30k miles...leave it just a bit open so the ashes can find their way in of course.

On a more serious note, I can’t see much from your picture other than you have a push to start install so I’ll bring it all the way back to square one before we start throwing out theories....do you live in Cali or Oregon, or anywhere that has tens of thousands of acres of forest burning? There is no cabin air filter in the car (convertible), the seals between the inside of the car & outside aren’t as tight as a ‘normal’ sedan (again, convertible) so interior dust, etc from outside accumulates inside the car at a much quicker rate.

If this is not the case, a better picture of what you are finding & where may help. How long have you owned the car, & how long has this been going on? Do you have any issue when using the HVAC system? Have you only noticed this after you pulled the interior of the car apart?
:D:D:D
it must be the ash tray!

it's probably the seals I'll check posts here re seals. thanks man

·
Registered
103 Posts
This ^^ 😆

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Is this normal? There is a hole where the steering wheel is connected
Is yours like this too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts