MR2 SpyderChat banner

1301 - 1309 of 1309 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am newly crowned spyder owner.. it is currently being shipped from WA to sunny Brisbane.. hope to have it next week(ish)

Are there any other Brisbanites on the forum - the Australian MR2 Club seems to be active in NSW and Vic but not much in QLD - with our weather I would have thought it would have been more popular...

Any way .. I will have a 2003 Silver MR2 Spyder - with the sequential box - can't wait!!!

Kyle
Hey Kyle,
I am originally from Newcastle, now living on the Mid North Coast of NSW, but my Spyder is from Brisbane, if that counts? :)

Mine is a 2001 Silver SMT. Bought it from a bimbo in Brisbane who thought all you had to do was put petrol in cars to make them go. I have had the engine/gearbox/radiator rebuilt so it is now better than new.

The MR2 Club in NSW is active, but was over-run by Mark II MR2 owners who don't believe that the Sypder is a real MR2 when I tried to join. You should have better luck with the Qld branch, they seem to be pretty active here. They were also very helpful when I had a couple of questions about my Spyder, more so than the NSW branch. Anyway northern Queensland is definitely Spyder country, enjoy the ride! :biggrin-new:

Terry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Too few Spyders, too far apart mostly. We only got the SMT too, so generally IMO not a big focus on the performance end of the market. Youth market seem to think if it's not a turbo, its nothing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, theres actually a MR2 spyder group in QLD?

I live in QLD, brisbane and have only seen 1 other MR2 spyder here in Brisbane, its a veilside yellow one.

Im in the middle of doing a 2zzge swap. Got some MWR springs and valves to replace. Just have to buy ARP head studs and do a LSD swap + buy the gear to match LSD.

When all done, i will need to get a custom clutch line made. Got the steel pipe that goes underneath the car - just need the ends.

Will be looking to do a ultralight flywheel n oem clutch install in bouts 2-3 weeks when my ARP flywheel bolts come in.

Wheres this MR2 spyder group located?

·
Registered
322 Posts
[we were racing our spider at Queensland raceway with mr2 club a couple of weeks ago. Have built/ modified dozens of them. You can't have looked very hard. Pm if you need anything. I have lots of new and used parts.

QUOTE=chris91;1936034]Wow, theres actually a MR2 spyder group in QLD?

I live in QLD, brisbane and have only seen 1 other MR2 spyder here in Brisbane, its a veilside yellow one.

Im in the middle of doing a 2zzge swap. Got some MWR springs and valves to replace. Just have to buy ARP head studs and do a LSD swap + buy the gear to match LSD.

When all done, i will need to get a custom clutch line made. Got the steel pipe that goes underneath the car - just need the ends.

Will be looking to do a ultralight flywheel n oem clutch install in bouts 2-3 weeks when my ARP flywheel bolts come in.

Wheres this MR2 spyder group located?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to Spyderchat

I have been Spyder (2001) owners or several years now, we live in north Qld and just love the car. About to replace brake pads and fuel filter but otherwise have spent almost nothing apart from regular maintenance and tyres/battery etc. We have just ordered a new soft top as the tropical weather has taken it's toll on the original one. Oh, forgot, just had a new clutch and pressure place.
We try try avoid using the Toyota dealer for parts etc as they are just ridiculous in pricing. (try $ 3200 to supply and fit four shock absorbers. just over $600 for a replacement fuel pump). We bough OEM.
I read others saying that it's great up here in the north for a soft top but the truth is that if you don't use sunblock you burn very easily.
Will fill out profile and post a few pics soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to Spyderchat, long-time MR2 owner

Hi all,

Michael here from Hobart, Tasmania.

I have owned MR2s since I was 16 (I'm now 31), firstly a 1987 AW11, which was immaculate, and I miss it to this day.

I then moved on to SW20s, and imported a stock-as-a-rock GT in 2005, just before the old 15 year rule wrapped up. I owned that car for a few years and moved onto other Toyotas (JZZ30, JZA80, ZN6 86).

I owned another very heavily modified SW20 GT from 2017, which I sold just this week.

Now I am the proud owner of a 2001 ZZW30, black with a (ruined!) tan soft top, tan interior, and an SMT which actually seems to work properly. Overall the car needs work, but I picked it up for the measly sum of $3,100.00!

It has done some 170 odd kms and needs some work, but the body is straight and the paint is good, though it needs a good polish.

I'm yet to check the precats though I suspect they're still there. I have a smoky 1ZZ which drinks as much oil as it does fuel. It'll be dispensed with some time in the future in favour of a 2ZZ and C60.

Having owned each generation of MR2s, I can say the AW11 is a raw driving experience, the SW20 is very fast and more of a touring car, but surprisingly it is the ZZW30 that has impressed me the most. What an underrated little car!

As well as the 2ZZ conversion, the more immediate plans I have over the coming weeks involve gutting the pre-cats, giving it a once-over service, a full detail, replace the crappy softtop with a black stayfast Robbins top, de-badging the car (and add the JDM midship runabout front badge), and restoring my heavily faded headlights.

Long-term I want to look at sourcing a hard top, replacing the interior with Recaros and matching door trims, rollbar, chassis bracing, and get into some autocross/time attack. It has done a heap of kms but I'm in love with the car and don't plan to let it go.

Looking forward to getting involved in what seems to be a very well established community.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking for Aussie electronics expert knowledgable about MR2 Runabouts

Hey guys,
My 2001 5-speed SMT has been off the road for months waiting on a replacement part for the emergency gear release for the MR2, but mechanic just phoned to say that the part has been fitted and car still won't release from first to neutral and he thinks the problem is in the ECU instead. Anyone know any electronics experts in Aus who have worked on MR2 electronics or can anyone give us a clue what the problem might be?

I know, "scrap the SMT and throw in a manual box", that is one option, but I wanted to keep the car as close to original as possible if I could.

Terry

1301 - 1309 of 1309 Posts