MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has autocrossed an SMT-equipped Spyder, as I'm considering it. I definitely realize the shortcomings of the transmission for this application (slow shifts, and not ability to modulate the clutch), but I figure there's still something for me to learn about handling in this environment...

Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I've been autocrossing mine for 3 years- I don't consider it to be much a disadvantage at all once you master the throttle lift shift.

Figure you only shift once, maybe twice on a course and there's not a whole lot of difference- far less difference than other factors introduce, such as driver skill and tires.

Go out there, have fun, learn your car and don't worry about that minimal time you're losing with that shift.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear this! I figured it's a 1st/2nd gear affair, but I wasn't sure how ofter the need arises to return to 1st.

Regardless, thanks for the reply! I think it's time to learn how to get into this...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Glad to hear this! I figured it's a 1st/2nd gear affair, but I wasn't sure how ofter the need arises to return to 1st.

Regardless, thanks for the reply! I think it's time to learn how to get into this...
I've only encountered one course in the last 3 years that required a first gear change. I've encountered 2 that required a third gear change.

Generally though, if you're using 1st or 3rd for anything other than starting off, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I remember a "barrell" turn that required a 1st gear change in my '93, It was an ugly nose dive. my '03 SMT takes those perfectly car stays level. and came out smooth.
I agree with SuperWhite %100, the situation is rare. I also agree with his comment about shift time vs. all the other variables.
It is also really easy to hose up a shift on a MT if your of your game that day. There is a reason High performance track cars have paddles.

·
Administrator
4,482 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here has autocrossed an SMT-equipped Spyder, as I'm considering it. I definitely realize the shortcomings of the transmission for this application (slow shifts, and not ability to modulate the clutch), but I figure there's still something for me to learn about handling in this environment...

Any thoughts or experiences?
It is the same transmission. it should upshift reasonably well if you lift just like you would if you were driving a manual. the downshifts might actually be an advantage, as it doesn't require as much coordination.

what do you mean by "modulate the clutch"?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts