MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before:
Does anyone have a good, SCCA C-stock legal way to stiffen up the front fenders to reduce the tendency to damage the inner fenders due to hitting autocross cones? That is, of course, other than missing the cones in the first place ;)

Gary

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Gary,
Are you hitting and pulling the cones up into the wheel well?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Stop hitting cones.
Look ahead. Farther.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary,
Are you hitting and pulling the cones up into the wheel well?
I don't think so. I think if I hit one with a front corner of the bumper cover, the whole cover and inner fender deflect backward. Do that often enough and either the attachment points break or the inner fender starts to split. I've strengthened the attachment points with fender washers and bolts, but the whole area still seems too flexible which ultimately results in splitting. I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the whole area more robust.

Gary

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I don't think so. I think if I hit one with a front corner of the bumper cover, the whole cover and inner fender deflect backward. Do that often enough and either the attachment points break or the inner fender starts to split. I've strengthened the attachment points with fender washers and bolts, but the whole area still seems too flexible which ultimately results in splitting. I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the whole area more robust.

Gary
The front is a little soft but not like that as far I can tell, did the front have any damage or are you are you missing any bumper supports. What year Spyder do you have?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
a warmer day is the biggest help on this, it softens the cones faster than the car plastic.

I'd advice against stiffenig it up, then the energy of the impact will probably break some thing expensive, instead of something cheap (the fender liner). My right front fender liner is installed with zip ties at the front, which allow lots of flex, and prevented further damage. I don't generally hit cones anymore except with the inside rear tire, but that did work for me.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
well if you're weight thrifty I wouldn't suggest it, but bondoing the inside of the fender would be an idea.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
are the cones in your regions just that tough?

The only time I've managed to damage my liners was when I pulled a cone underneath the car in a tank slapper and it just ripped the front half up and over the tire.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Maybe it is a design flaw. I also lost a front fender liner this past weekend, when a co-driver jumped in the car and hit a cone with the front side. I was working the course in the area that he hit it. I honestly thought the whole front bumper was coming off the car.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So this past weekend I replaced a torn fender liner. I was kind of shocked at the amount of dirt and leaves buildup in the lower back part of the wheel well closest to the passenger compartment. I would say that I vacuumed out about a pound of dirt on the first side. So much that I went and checked the other side and it had as much dirt and leaves in it as the first side. Looks like a really good place for moisture to be held and start rusting. Once the dirt gets back in there there is not really a good way for it to drain out. I definitely plan on inspecting this area once a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts