MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
I noticed a low whistle from the drivers rear and I heard this weird low grinding noise every so often as I accelerated or steped off the gas. Today I took it for a slow test drive around my block and my MR2 was in S but it electronically shifted into N. i had heard a bad grind noise, lost a little bit of control, and I stopped slowed applied the break and manually put my car into N. Doesn't engage into gear or reverse, N stays engaged. Tried to push it home around the corner on N with the E break off and it's locked. Tow truck tried to get it on and off and rear tires were stuck. Kind of heard a grind noise when loading my car to the tow truck. Any idea what happened here ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless a fork broke, and he is now double meshed. :oops:
Later on today I connected a code scanner because the check engine light came on. Codes P1646Transmission control function ECU and P1647 can communication malfunction ended up coming on.
Called toyota parts and they told me an ECU is about $1200 and they seem to be discontinued .

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The SMT is in fail-safe mode and locked the cabin shifter. If the cabin shifter is locked in neutral, do as Cyclehead suggested. You’ll need to fix the smt issue. There should be a CEL and/or red gear light indicating a problem. Get Techstream and retrieve the codes.
Actually, it might not be an SMT issue but a clutch or tranny problem, with all the grinding going on. How many miles on the car and clutch?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Is techsteam the same thing as obd2 scanner?
Techstream is similar, plugs into the DLC3 connector and is the only way to get codes from the trans ecu (TCU). You may not need it if it’s a trans or clutch issue but if there’s a CEL, it’ll help to have the codes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ok I had connected the obd2 scanner yesterday. I got Codes P1646 and P1647
Transmission control function ECU and can communication malfunction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tech stream software runs on an IBM PC. With a $20 “j2534” cable from Amazon.
Ok , so technically techsteam goes in more depth of the issue? And would I currently have to purchase a PC with IBM software ? Thanks for your help !!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Oh ok I had connected the obd2 scanner yesterday. I got Codes P1646 and P1647
Transmission control function ECU and can communication malfunction.
Communication malfunction is most likely in the wiring and connections. I suggest that you inspect carefully before you replace the ECU, unless you have one handy to try.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You need to get more specific codes. Techstream can get at them. The 1646 code is unhelpful at locating the fault. All it means to me, is something’s wrong with the SMT system.
An alternative approach would be to determine where the grinding noise is coming from then see how that could affect the smt system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to get more specific codes. Techstream can get at them. The 1646 code is unhelpful at locating the fault. All it means to me, is something’s wrong with the SMT system.
An alternative approach would be to determine where the grinding noise is coming from then see how that could affect the smt system.
I see a few options on Amazon for the j2534 techsteam cable . Will work with any computer ? Or is it best to purchase one with a cd ? What's the difference.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I see a few options on Amazon for the j2534 techsteam cable . Will work with any computer ? Or is it best to purchase one with a cd ? What's the difference.
Hopefully, other people on here can answer your question better. As far as I know, the cable is the only thing needed and the software can be found on the internet but it might be simpler to get one with a disc.
It’s important not to disconnect the battery until you retrieve the codes or they’ll be erased. I would think the codes would still be in the history but others have never recovered them. We’ve worked on so many of these that it can be fixed without them but it makes things more difficult.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts