MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this post on the (UK) MR2 Owners Club site.

It discusses replacing the rear tow-eye block-off plates on pre-facelift Spyders with lights.

I'm undecided about this modification, but am wondering where one could get the lights they used.
The link in the post is inappropriate, presumably because the original ownership has been terminated.

I have never seen lights like those used. Does anyone know of a U.S. source for such lights?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Interesting.

I've got some parts catalogs for farm equipment that have a lot of lighting options. I'll look through them this weekend and see if I can find anything like that.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I've seen reflectors that fit in there nicely.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have some nice red reflective sticker material that looks good there. Let me know if you would like a set.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It's the lights that are puzzling me.
What the hell are they??
I think it's just a cheap generic trailer light, probably just a different brand than we have here in the states.

I bet there's something here that's about the same, but I wouldn't want one.

Cheap looking, and really no lighting or visibility advantage.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheap looking, and really no lighting or visibility advantage.
I agree.
I was thinking about connecting them to the brake lights.
That way, when I get rear-ended I can say "What do you mean you didn't see me?? The whole tail end lit up!"
:lol:

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I toasted my last "blinky" taillight, but superbrightleds.com sent me another one for free - so I've got bright tail lights again. I followed my spyder home yesterday (200 mi trip) and I'm tickled with the strobe/solid lights. Highly recommend!
Seeing blinking tail lights makes me want to ram the blinking car.
I don't do it simply because the Spyder would lose.

As to your irrirating* light's failure:
LEDs are not heat tolerant.
You mounted them in a hotspot.
You say you toasted it: You literally did toast it.
The replacement will also fail soon if you don't insulate it somehow.

* pronounced "eye-ritating", like "eye-rack" (Iraq) or "eye-ran" (Iran)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree.
I was thinking about connecting them to the brake lights.
That way, when I get rear-ended I can say "What do you mean you didn't see me?? The whole tail end lit up!"
:lol:
You know after thinking about it, I remember some lights that were similiar to these. Trailer places cut little short pieces of what looked about like 2 inch pipe, welded them on the sides of the trailers as they were built, and placed the lights inside of these for protection. Some of the lights, toward the front of the trailer were amber, and those at the back were red.

They probably have them at Tractor Supply, right next to those big yellow triangles.

"What do you mean you didn't see me?? I've got a big yellow triangle on the back!" :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts