MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard any attempt of Awd Conversion for Toyota Mr-s ? I'm planning to swap Ej20 with kinugawa td06 on my Mr-s . I just bought damaged wrx from japan for that purpose. I simply don't wanna keep it rwd. I wanna build with Group B Car sprit. I'm looking forward to hear your valuable thoughts ... Regards from Cyprus.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've never heard of anybody converting the MR-S or MR2 into AWD... I have to say it sounds pretty ambitious. I will be watching this thread with interest. I hope you'll post a lot of pictures, I'm sure there will be a lot to learn from this process.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I would think that the car would be so rear-heavy that it would be a bear to drive. Will the engine even fit without hanging out the back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toyota did develop a group B AW11. It never ran a race. Now and then someone posts an old photo of the car. I don't know whether it has been dismantled or is it in storage somewhere. Google it.
Yes, AW11 exactly . I ve seen a documentary about it . My idea is to create a modern interpretation of AW11 with joy and sprit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would think that the car would be so rear-heavy that it would be a bear to drive. Will the engine even fit without hanging out the back?

This is the reference point. A guy from japan did this project. But it is rwd . We can do it in this way aswell but i'm just wandering around to find any clue for awd conversion . Awd conversion, In this setup, i dont like to say impossible but it would be a hard job.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If you are using a longitudinal 4wd package, then you would have to turn it around for rear mounting. That is why I was worried about the engine hanging out. Or, you could use two right-angle gears and run the drive shaft up through the passenger position.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You have a big task ahead of you. Over in the Volvo world there are some converting a c30 from FWD to AWD. It's not THAT difficult since S60/V50 AWD donors can be found and it's a shared platform but what you're trying to do.... good luck.
P. S. If using a Haldex unit use the 3 or use 3 pieces in a 2 to give you 50/50 distribution. The 2 gives 30/70.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
With the MR-S chassis, it's impossible to AWD it.
Unlike MR2 MK1/MK2, the MR-S don't have central tunnel.

The only way that I see, is to cut the chassis in two. But it will "compromise" the entire chassis structure.
And you will have to reinforce it (even more) like Keita did with his EJ20 MR-S .
Not to mention the amount of knowledge to have for this kind of work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly we are talking to create a central tunnel. It requires cutting ,welding and specially "engineering". Some my friends advise me to go rwd like Keita did .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Instead of having a transfer case setup you could always use electric motors to drive the front two wheels, that way a central tunnel is not needed. Integrating the electric motors and the engine is another story though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
custom control module required, but Motor drivers are available pre-made and will have a spec sheet for what sort of input and power connections they need to control the electric motor throttle.
if you find an electronics experienced hobbyist, they'll have enough knowledge to get started on figuring out the method of control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Instead of having a transfer case setup you could always use electric motors to drive the front two wheels, that way a central tunnel is not needed. Integrating the electric motors and the engine is another story though.
I suppose an electric engine system that would even manage to provide output of 30 percent kw of the rear combustion engine , all together would weight way too much than awd system itself. And i believe i couldn't manage to build one in here. Too much software... i should give a call Elon Musk maybe lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
The big problem is getting the driveline to the front wheels. Pretty much any AWD system out there will have the output shaft pointing towards the back of the car. There would need to be a LOT of custom work done. I'm thinking of a transverse-mounted engine and transmission with a custom transmission case designed to move the PTO to the front of the case.

I think the best choice was mentioned above. Get an electric drivetrain for the front wheels that will act like F1's KERS. (i.e. the McLaren P1) I honestly think that would be less expensive than re-designing an existing AWD transmission to move the PTO to the front.

Maybe an i8 drivetrain, but I can't even fathom what would be needed to trick it into accepting a physically smaller battery pack that would fit behind the seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Any way some good news.. I just domestically sourced hartop which equalent of 580 $ . It requires painting and custom made mounting parts. Good deal ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would think it would almost be easier to just make a tube chassis car that had mounting points for the MR-2 body panels. At that point a flat 4 could fit up front to use tradition subaru drivetrain but why... just build a light 2.5rs if you want AWD or if you want a subaru ej mid engine buy a factory five 818.. Not saying I wouldn't like to see it done tho. It could just be beyond my imagination.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts