MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I managed to mess up the threads on my driver's side rear axle....

I've been looking online for parts. Is a whole new axle my only option? Anyone know of any good deals?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
How did you do that? ARe you doing the 2zz swap? I cant get mine off.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Thang, that looks like a good deal.

I'm finishing up a clutch job. I got them off by standing on a large breaker bar. I think I ended up damaging the threads on the driver side a little when removing the nut. I probably didn't pound out the indented section of the nut well enough on that side. The passenger side went back together no sweat but I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the driver side until it was too late. Not one of my prouder moments but oh well.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Grind off ( or File Off ) the beat up part, and put the nut back on..

By the Way, you do not have to pull the Axle from the Hub when doing a Clutch..

Cap

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have any pointers for getting the driver side axle out of the transmission? The passenger side is a piece of cake but I can't seem to get the driver's side out... I can't even pound on it through the hole from the passenger side axle because it seems that there is some sort of plate in the way...

I've been using a prybar but it just won't come out...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The Axle must pull out Straight.. If you just Pry from one side, it usually will not come out.. Pry from BOTH sides.. lots of pul and for a long time.. you are trying to get the Wire Ring to compress back into it's grove..

Cap

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Does anyone have any pointers for getting the driver side axle out of the transmission? The passenger side is a piece of cake but I can't seem to get the driver's side out... I can't even pound on it through the hole from the passenger side axle because it seems that there is some sort of plate in the way...

I've been using a prybar but it just won't come out...
Check my build thread. If you have a spare transmission fork or can get the one from the transmission. Easy money. Two hits and it was out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try the double pry method tomorrow. It's best if I walk away from it tonight... <_<

Next time I change a clutch and decide I'm going to F' up an axle, I'll have to do it while the transmission is still out of the car and use the fork method!

I don't suppose there is anything I should know about putting the new axle in?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Replace the Seal now.. they are different left to right..

Word of advice.. don't put the seal too far into the Trans Housing.. How do I know this?

Cap

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Here is the method I used. You should be able to do this with it still in the car. I would never have thought to use the fork. Almost like the double pry method but easier to hold and do it by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQ-k92k04s

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
SLICK..

Thanks for the Find Triz

Cap

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice trick!

I managed to get it out with two large screwdrivers, a block of wood, and a BFH. Wedge two screwdrivers in on either side, place block of wood on both handles at the same time, hit 3 or 4 times with BFH, popped right out... If only I could have figured that out last night!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yep, I managed to mess up the threads on my driver's side rear axle....

I've been looking online for parts. Is a whole new axle my only option? Anyone know of any good deals?

Thanks.
I did not read through all posts.. But a while back I did mess up the threads on my driver side axle.. I went down to my local Toyota stealership & talked to one of the mechanics.. He let me borrow a dye that I screwed onto the messed up threads using a breaking bar. problem solved. VERRY easy.. Good luck

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Here is the method I used. You should be able to do this with it still in the car. I would never have thought to use the fork. Almost like the double pry method but easier to hold and do it by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQ-k92k04s
I hate you. With every fiber of being. Seriously. Die. Painfully.

j/k but I wish I would have had that info on my first tranny swap, 4 of the 7 hours it took for me to do it was me beating on the axle, busting another knuckle and swinging my hand in pain using expletives that haven't even been created yet. That's when I switched from beer breaks to tequila breaks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any tricks for the axle seals? I picked them up today and the driver side one seems to have become one with the transmission. Almost like you need a razor blade to get it off...

·
Registered
4,128 Posts

j/k but I wish I would have had that info on my first tranny swap, 4 of the 7 hours it took for me to do it was me beating on the axle, busting another knuckle and swinging my hand in pain using expletives that haven't even been created yet. That's when I switched from beer breaks to tequila breaks.

Haha. Hey I spent 4 hrs the night before I found that trick. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Any tricks for the axle seals? I picked them up today and the driver side one seems to have become one with the transmission. Almost like you need a razor blade to get it off...
I use a strong pair of pliers.

When i did my axle, I went to autozone and rented a ball joint separator. Looks like a fork similar to Triz's video. I didn't even have to pound it with a hammer, just some arm actions to get it done.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
That is the way to remove the axle. Prying at 180 degrees.

Cleaning the threads with a die or filing/grinding will also work depending on the amount of buggered threads.

A seal puller should be able to hook in to pry the seal out and a race driver or large socket can be used to install. Small slide hammers can also remove a seal.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

I second this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts