MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting my black 03 repainted. Quoted at 2100 bucks, not much body work aside from a few dings here and there. Should be in the shop in the next 2-3 weeks and then another 2 weeks before I see her again.

After that is done, going to get a new top, preferably cloth.

Will post pics if you guys want.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Black is the best color for a spyder!!!!
Good luck with the new paint job, hope it turns out well

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I use to think black was great until I saw a black spyder IRL. The car loses all its characteristic lines and shape.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use to think black was great until I saw a black spyder IRL. The car loses all its characteristic lines and shape.
Black is like a very pretty girl, sure she is more high maintenance than the other girls, but damn does she look good.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Black is like a very pretty girl, sure she is more high maintenance than the other girls, but damn does she look good.
You pretty much nailed it!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,

I promised pictures so here they are. I waited a month before washing and waxing, noticed some imperfections that will need to be taken care of when I eventually get her detailed. Otherwise she came out pretty good.

And last but not least, I've altered the interior a bit and am thinking of repainting the center vents/hvac area in the same red as the instrument cluster as well as the side vents. Let me know what you all think. (That red is satin, just looks glossy because of the lighting).

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
weelll....as you can see I like red,.....I think that the interior may have enough already.

can you photo shop it before you actually do any work?:cool:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
And last but not least, I've altered the interior a bit and am thinking of repainting the center vents/hvac area in the same red as the instrument cluster as well as the side vents. Let me know what you all think. (That red is satin, just looks glossy because of the lighting).
I'd say don't. You've already got a lot of red right next to there, no need for any more. Maybe a red shifter surround. They sell a silver one on ebay, and chromdesign has a chrome one...both can probably be painted.

Any more than that and you go from something that looks like a better version that the factory should have offered to something that looks too busy and riced out. Red OEM clock seat covers would look nice....maybe. How did you do your doors?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok,

Did a little bit of editing with Gimp (I recently reformatted this machine and have yet to install Photoshop), so you'll have to forgive the crudeness.

Duska and Joe Schmoe, I think you guys are right about it being too much, may just go for the shift bezel overlay:

just the HVAC area:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say don't. You've already got a lot of red right next to there, no need for any more. Maybe a red shifter surround. They sell a silver one on ebay, and chromdesign has a chrome one...both can probably be painted.

Any more than that and you go from something that looks like a better version that the factory should have offered to something that looks too busy and riced out. Red OEM clock seat covers would look nice....maybe. How did you do your doors?
The doors were done with red vinyl trim with 3M tape I got on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-DIY-RED-...er&hash=item27c47d2284&vxp=mtr#ht_2620wt_1165

it's only temporary until I get my hands on some red leather chord, the door inserts from factory are starting to come undone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$2100 is a deal.
Is that true that yellow and orange paint cost more?
I was told if I wanted to go to Solar Yellow or the equivalent of it would have been about a grand more and they would have left the engine bay and frunk area black as well as the door sills etc. Metallic paints tend to be more expensive, my mustang got a really bad door ding some hating a** did and it cost about 1k to fix (candy red metallic, ford tints the clear coat too).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts