MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help.
As mentioned in another thread I have a leak coming from the timing cover gasket. As it is above my mechanic skills, took it to my mechanic. He tells me that he would need to drop the engine and to change the timing cover gasket AND the head gasket. He says that if he took the timing cover gasket off, the head gasket will Rip.

This is contrary to what I've been reading. Help me guys!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I’ve done t covers in the car multiple times ON 1ZZ’s. It’s not fun and it’s a tight squeeze but is definitely doable. The head gasket will not spontaneously leak if you do the timing cover. And there is no gasket, it’s silicone.

Edit: sorry I was talking about 1ZZ read further down for info on 2ZZ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve done t covers in the car multiple times. It’s not fun and it’s a tight squeeze but is definitely doable. The head gasket will not spontaneously leak if you do the timing cover. And there is no gasket, it’s silicone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I see. Will external silicone stop the leak? Or at least temporarily?

·
Registered
866 Posts
ahh wait stop stop.

2ZZ has an actual gasket for the front timing cover, you need to buy this from Toyota - DO NOT USE SILICONE (except in the one area around where a bolt goes through the cover and threads into the block, as per the service manual). Suggest you replace the front main seal (installed in the cover) as well as the valve cover gasket while you are at it, and check the wear on the timing chain guides. Plus inspect for any other leaks.

Can you do it with the engine out? Yes, but in a 'shop environment' where they have hoists, engine cradles etc. it is often faster to actually drop the engine to do it.

Will it damage the headgasket? Absolutely not. It is not like some old school engines where the timing cover actually seals at its upper end against the headgasket. The cover on the 2ZZ goes from the bottom of the block to the top of the head, sealing at its upper end against the valve cover. Sounds like maybe you need a more knowledgeable mechanic??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts