MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I've got myself into a little bit of a jam...Yesterday I replaced my SHOT clutch and flywheel with a competition clutch stage 2 unit, and competition clutch flywheel. I didn't drop the cv shafts from the hubs, and left all the suspension components in tact. (so that rules out rear end, right?) I also replaced the torque mounts with the speed source polys. I went though and double checked all the bolts, and everything looks good.
The car just has a pretty nasty pull to the right, steering wheel is very crooked, Does the suspension just need to settle? I had the car up in the air for a few days. Alignment felt right on the button prior to this job.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Well.. You have to pull SOMETHING in the suspension to get the Tranny out.. so what ever was pulled, did not go beck exactally right..

Need a Four Wheel Alingment..

Cap

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the bearings in the cv shafts. If they are separated funny things can happen. Might have been pulled out when pulling shaft from hub.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The car just has a pretty nasty pull to the right, steering wheel is very crooked, Does the suspension just need to settle? I had the car up in the air for a few days. Alignment felt right on the button prior to this job.
Thanks!
By saying that the steering wheel is very crooked, I take it that you mean it is off center, and that has nothing to do with the clutch and all that as it is connected to the other end of the car. What did you do at the front of the car is the question.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
Actually if the back end is out, you're steering wheel will be off centre.
No, the steering wheel will be centered however the car will not track straight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well we still don't know what he has done wrong yet...
any info would be great.
if his rear toe is out, his steering wheel will be off centre.
if his camber or caster is out in the rear, then his wheel will be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, the steering well will be centered however the car will not track straight.
I've got to agree with titleist in this one. If the alignment is thrown out on the rear causing the car to dog track, the steering wheel will indeed be off-center when travelling straight down the road.

This is different from a tire force such as plysteer which acts more or less equally front and rear. With plysteer (which all tires have) the car will dog track and the steering wheel will remain straight.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
I've got to agree with titleist in this one. If the alignment is thrown out on the rear causing the car to dog track, the steering wheel will indeed be off-center when travelling straight down the road.

This is different from a tire force such as plysteer which acts more or less equally front and rear. With plysteer (which all tires have) the car will dog track and the steering wheel will remain straight.
Impossible. I have and many have removed the rear toe arms for what ever reason, engine swap, clutch job and so on. then installed the tow arms to take the car for an alignment and the steering wheel is in the center position always however the rear tow has shown to be at it's limits. This is not a four wheel steering car.

The only way to shift the steering wheel position to where it is not straight is either by changing the front tow or by removing the steering wheel and re-positioning it.

There is very little adjustment for the rear tow unlike the front and if it it is out of alignment then the steering wheel will be straight however the car will pull either to the right or the left and that pull is not that bad in a straight line only when cornering you can lose grip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Impossible. I have and many have removed the rear toe arms for what ever reason, engine swap, clutch job and so on. then installed the tow arms to take the car for an alignment and the steering wheel is in the center position always however the rear tow has shown to be at it's limits.
If you're talking about max toe-in (both sides toed in) or max toe out (both sides toed out) and they are about equal side-to-side so that there is little net axle steer, then the situation you note is quite possible. However, if one side is toed in and the other is toed out so you have axle steer, then the only way to drive straight down the road is to put in some steer angle (relative to the car). Hence the steering wheel is off-center. Is it possible that the effect for a given condition is small enough that this isn't noticeable? Sure. However, the original post said it was very noticeable. All I'm saying is that it's quite possible that he messed something up in the rear.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
If you're talking about max toe-in (both sides toed in) or max toe out (both sides toed out) and they are about equal side-to-side so that there is little net axle steer, then the situation you note is quite possible. However, if one side is toed in and the other is toed out so you have axle steer, then the only way to drive straight down the road is to put in some steer angle (relative to the car). Hence the steering wheel is off-center. Is it possible that the effect for a given condition is small enough that this isn't noticeable? Sure. However, the original post said it was very noticeable. All I'm saying is that it's quite possible that he messed something up in the rear.
It is possible only if there is a gross exaggeration from a bent tow arm but then again it would be so noticeable like a clown car. With just a bad alignment in the rear you will still need correction with the steering wheel to keep the car straight but the steering wheel will remain on axis and not off center when you let go of it. That has been my experience with at least over 40 or so alignments having the tow completely out of wack.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
However, if one side is toed in and the other is toed out
I have had this a good number of times based on the before reading. The car will pitch to the left or right and will need correction with turning the steering wheel however when you let go of the steering wheel, the steering wheel is still straight and not cockeyed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tore the front wheels off today, It looks like the tow truck driver bent my left tie rod end, cheap fix :)
another note: my transmission is on it's way out, I can hear a bearing rattling about in the case. I wish I'd noticed that before I dropped the trans out!
And I did manage to drop the transmission out without removing any suspension components! Not the worst job in the world.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
I tore the front wheels off today, It looks like the tow truck driver bent my left tie rod end, cheap fix :)
another note: my transmission is on it's way out, I can hear a bearing rattling about in the case. I wish I'd noticed that before I dropped the trans out!
And I did manage to drop the transmission out without removing any suspension components! Not the worst job in the world.
That makes perfect sense. As far as you clutch goes it may not necessarily be a bad bearing considering a clutch job was performed unless you heard the noise before changing the clutch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes perfect sense. As far as you clutch goes it may not necessarily be a bad bearing considering a clutch job was performed unless you heard the noise before changing the clutch.
there was noise, but I figured it was the throw out bearing, or something...From what I've gathered I have all the symptoms of a broken down output shaft bearing, grinding noise gets worse in 4th and 5th. I checked to make sure my cv shafts are good, and fully seated, everything else looks good. Fluid level looks good, but there wasn't metal in it. It shifts great, and drives fine otherwise.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
there was noise, but I figured it was the throw out bearing, or something...From what I've gathered I have all the symptoms of a broken down output shaft bearing, grinding noise gets worse in 4th and 5th. I checked to make sure my cv shafts are good, and fully seated, everything else looks good. Fluid level looks good, but there wasn't metal in it. It shifts great, and drives fine otherwise.
An output bearing noise is not gear dependent as you should hear it in all gears even when your coasting clutch in or out however the nose will be more apparent after about 15-30mph. Because you are in a higher gear the engine will become quieter and the bearing more noticeable.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The car just has a pretty nasty pull to the right, steering wheel is very crooked, Does the suspension just need to settle?
By saying that the steering wheel is very crooked, I take it that you mean it is off center, and that has nothing to do with the clutch and all that as it is connected to the other end of the car. What did you do at the front of the car is the question.

I'm glad you found the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts