MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've just bought a 2002 mr2 and I'm new to the chat. I've ran into a slight problem with my car. When starting it takes quiete some time to start. Cranks like 3-4 seconds and when it does start. It almost dies on me. I have to blip the strottle to keep it alive. But when I do it stays on like normal. Do you guys have any suggestions? RPM was pretty high due to an exhaust leak but I fixed that problem. I also just cleaned the throttle body and the IAC Valve.

Here is a video to my problem.
3. November 2022

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The very first thing to do is hook up an OBD reader and read the fault codes (you will have some even if the CEL isn't lit). Then go to the shop manual and see what the codes mean and use the diagnostic procedure to get to the root cause(s)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The very first thing to do is hook up an OBD reader and read the fault codes (you will have some even if the CEL isn't lit). Then go to the shop manual and see what the codes mean and use the diagnostic procedure to get to the root cause(s)
I already did. Absolutely no code. I thought about fuel pressure but I tried it with turning on an off the car a few times before starting, to build up fuel pressure but still the same problem...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi. I've just bought a 2002 mr2 and I'm new to the chat. I've ran into a slight problem with my car. When starting it takes quiete some time to start. Cranks like 3-4 seconds and when it does start. It almost dies on me. I have to blip the strottle to keep it alive. But when I do it stays on like normal. Do you guys have any suggestions? RPM was pretty high due to an exhaust leak but I fixed that problem. I also just cleaned the throttle body and the IAC Valve.
Is the idle problem came after having cleaning those things? How did you cleaned the IACV? Maybe the IACV is "just" stuck after a long time engine off.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I already did. Absolutely no code. I thought about fuel pressure but I tried it with turning on an off the car a few times before starting, to build up fuel pressure but still the same problem...
It might be the fuel pump. Turning the ignition on and off won’t prime the pump; only cranking the engine will turn the pump on. You might wait and see if the problem goes away since you’ve cleaned the IACV

·
Registered
3 Posts
It might be the fuel pump. Turning the ignition on and off won’t prime the pump; only cranking the engine will turn the pump on. You might wait and see if the problem goes away since you’ve cleaned the IACV

Here is a video to my problem.
3. November 2022
had a similar problem. After cleaning the throttle body. I think the adjustment on throttle cable moved and was too slack . I readjusted it after tightening the cable up. Starting up then returned to normal and tick over at standstill was more even. Check yours out let us know if this solves the problem.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Turning the ignition on and off does NOTHING for fuel pressure. The fuel pump runs ONLY if the engine is spinning.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
If all else fails to fix the problem and you have never checked your valve clearances, do so. Lash changes a lot during initial warmup and any valves that do not close fully (no lash condition) will hurt startability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts