MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. CEL Friday evening. Changed the oil Sunday. Noticed some grainy deposits on dipstick when check oil pre dump. Ran my fingers through the draining oil felt no grains like on dip stick. Just came back from dealer. Charged me $70.00 for diagnostic check. Now no CEL. Problem: Bank 1 sensor 1 $$186.09 $180.00 for labor and induction costs $160.00 total $681.58. I thanked him and told him I would let him know. After researching here for an hour I guess I will just purchase the O2 sensor and have my brother in-law mechanic help me replace. The three amigos look HORRIBLE and I am afraid that I will not be able to get them off to check the precats. BTW 2003 car. Is there a cheaper cost to the O2 sensors or is that the going price? And if I find out that the precats is broken up or gone, I guess compression test is next? No loss of power and oil consumption seemed non existent. What say you experts? Any information would help. tanks

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Here ya go, under $60 shipped free.

Three amigos versus PB Blaster and an impact wrench? The amigos lose every time.
No impact wrench available? Soak 'em good overnight with PB Blaster (my favorite, but use your favorite penetrating oil). Use a breaker bar and some muscle. A propane torch can come in handy, too. Worst case, a sawzall always does the trick.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good on Ya Mike

Gracias Senor.

Should I change both if I am going to check both precats? Oh and there are conflicting reports when I searched Bank1 sensor 1 code P0031 is the right or left sensor?

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Gracias Senor.

Should I change both if I am going to check both precats? Oh and there are conflicting reports when I searched Bank1 sensor 1 code P0031 is the right or left sensor?
Probably worth changing both. I'm a cheap [email protected]@rd who thinks he knows something about reliability and expected product lifetimes so I personally wouldn't, but I'd recommend it to anyone else.

I *think* bank 1 would be closest to the "front" of the engine (belt side).

Where are you in NJ?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Mike tanks again. I'm done in sourthern NJ near Mays Landing

Tanks Oldman. Yeah I figured

·
Registered
75 Posts
I purchased my car with a CEL with a bad downstream O2 sensor (had a scan tool and that was it). To make it easy, I just kept spraying the area with penetrating fluid each day (the four or so days leading up to the repair) and the sensor came right off when it was go time. O2 sensors take not time to replace if you prepare for it and have good leverage.

The O2 sensor Mike posted (the Denso) is a good part and has a great price

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question

The CEL is no longer on. Hasnt been since they did they diagnostic. They said it might be the gas cap not being tight. He tightened it in front of me. I shlould have asked to check if the CeL was still present but they took it back. They never gave me the P0031 code number instead they just told me that the bank1 sensor1 was the problem. I called them back to see if they could give me proof of the code that they received but could not get through. Should'nt the CEL stay on if it is not working? Is it possible that it is fine and it was the gas cap and made that diagnostic up? Just sayin'

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
The CEL is no longer on. Hasnt been since they did they diagnostic. They said it might be the gas cap not being tight. He tightened it in front of me. I shlould have asked to check if the CeL was still present but they took it back. They never gave me the P0031 code number instead they just told me that the bank1 sensor1 was the problem. I called them back to see if they could give me proof of the code that they received but could not get through. Should'nt the CEL stay on if it is not working? Is it possible that it is fine and it was the gas cap and made that diagnostic up? Just sayin'
If they reset the codes, it'll stay off for "a little while." A little while should be something like 3 days if you drive for more than 20 minutes at a clip.
Were you experiencing any driveability problems? Or just the annoying light?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing. And when I changed the oil it was still within the middle of the dipstick.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you sure this is for bank 1 sensor 1

Are you sure that amazon part is for bank one sensor 1?
Which one would I order for the second sensor on left side the one they recommend...." people who bought this bought this also." tanks for your time....

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I've replaced both and it is about the easiest thing to do, with the right tools, meaning an O2 socket. Buy one! Also when you replace the O2 sensor, discontect the batter to clear the code out. Re-connect and all should be copacetic.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I've replaced both and it is about the easiest thing to do, with the right tools, meaning an O2 socket. Buy one! Also when you replace the O2 sensor, discontect the batter to clear the code out. Re-connect and all should be copacetic.
Any idea where I left my O2 socket? I went to use it last night, and... not where it should be. I hate it when people use my tools and don't put them away correctly. Especially when it's me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well here ya go

Took the car to my brother-in-law who is a mechanic for a local Ford/Mazda dealership. The cel came on again as expected so he checked it out with his diagnostic computer. Bank 1 sensor 1. Well at least the stealership wasn't lying to me. I ordered the O2 sensor from the amazon site that Mike refered to. I got it for $25.00 cause I opened a credit card, which I will cancel at the first bill, and now will wait for it to get here. My brother-in-law couldn't understand how the honeycomb, if missing or cracked could ruin the top end. He said that it would go to the main cat and clog the cat and exhaust from a rich running engine. I welcomed him to check out the site.:lol: Anyway, I think I am going to get CHE'S HEADER and be done with it. The car is running fine and I am hopeful that the pre cats are in tact.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yep

Yes, I am a teacher raising three girls and money right now is extremely tight. Maybe I will just gut them and be done with it. I also like to support those that cater to the community that is spyderchat. Being a member since Oct 03 and looking at my sig line I think you can understand. I would hardley consider Che's Header "cheap" only in price not product. But after I inspect the pre cats I will decide what I will do. tanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts