·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Dev had mentioned that it's not a person, but a bot (that apparently keeps replicating itself)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dev had mentioned that it's not a person, but a bot (that apparently keeps replicating itself)
Bots do things like this for sure, but I've never seen one do it to this extent.

I kind of wonder though if it isn't one of our current of former trolls. This kind of thing isn't that difficult to do, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist. This may not be a denial of service attack, but is similiar in some ways. Each of these posts is actually a request, and given enough requests could possible bring down a server or at the least make it unusable for the rest of the community. To me the huge number of posts shows intent, and that there are possibly human hands behind this.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nah, it's a bot. If you click the forum links in the bottom you can see other forums it's been posting in (sadly I don't speak any of those languages), forums appear to be completely random, one's a dog training forum. And it's far from malicious, a DDoS would be posting several of these a minute, not 1 every 10. What we have is an idiot that stumbled across our forums running a bot. I've put in about 50 calls today(been somewhat busy with other things), the call center girls seem to be nice enough. Just running up the toll free bill of the client.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I see what you mean.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah, it's weird how that works. Doubled-checked, and he is on the banned list. They still show up until they log off. It is probably a bot, just endlessly getting error messages every time it tries to start another thread now.

It sounds like multiple people did report threads, but no reports were received on my end. If you see any new spam show up, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM about it in addition to reporting the posts.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
It's frustrating I know. Probably more frustrating to Dan since he's been cleaning them up.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yah, his ban-hammer arm might be starting to get sore.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I don't think we can thank Dan enough for his housecleaning efforts around here! You sir have some serious positive karma coming your way:)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Big time. Every one I've reported to him, he's been friendly and quick about it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Glad to be of service!

It is getting pretty steady with the spammers these last few weeks. The RicerChat thread is getting hit daily, but the thread is funny and has been around so long that I don't want to close it.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything else I can do but just try to kill the spammers as they pop up. There have been a number of good folks that have been pointing out spammers, and only a few have been able to make it past the first post before getting banned. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Hopefully Don can help us get the human verification module setup on the member registration, and that should stop most of them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts