MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
To me it is a sad day for our little cars when prices start making us like all the others. That is not even one of the best colors or years or not creampuff mileage. There are many creampuffs with less than 50k miles. I have two. Hopefully it is a blip in the sales prices.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I mean it's their money, their choice. I can sort of understand a similar mileage S2000 going for nearly 30k, because the build quality is better and the engine is much better, though it still seems kind of silly when you have the ND Miata available new.

17k for an MR-S is pretty stupid IMO. I did love driving my stock 1ZZ Spyder despite all its shortcomings, but a 987.2 base Boxster or Lotus Elise isn't much more than that.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
182 Posts
Good examples of older cars on auction sites can go for surprising amounts, especially in a bidding environment.

This one appears to got out of hand though. It will be interesting to watch what comes up in the next few months for MR-S sales.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Compare that to the sale of my black 37k mile 05 limited slip stick with full documentation almost perfect conditions slightly over $14k 5 months ago and is it a trend or auction hype.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
182 Posts
Nothing will top the 53k '06 Honda Element.

I'll pretend to understand how rare a 5-spd w/ 4WD is in that vehicle, but $30k? Was it even that new?

Different folks, different strokes ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I miss when "Bring A Trailer" meant that the car couldn't run under its own power. Now it's "Bring A Trailer" so you don't put any more miles on the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I mean it's their money, their choice. I can sort of understand a similar mileage S2000 going for nearly 30k, because the build quality is better and the engine is much better, though it still seems kind of silly when you have the ND Miata available new.

17k for an MR-S is pretty stupid IMO. I did love driving my stock 1ZZ Spyder despite all its shortcomings, but a 987.2 base Boxster or Lotus Elise isn't much more than that.
2 months ago, I just picked up a RHD MR-S with about the same km on it (from auction). First owner here in Canada (it came from Japan), and I paid $5500 CAD, or $4300 USD!!

It's fully equipped with TRD parts everywhere, sportivo suspension, shifter knob, exhaust, air filter, strut braces, etc.

So there are definitely cheaper deals out there. Whoever paid $18,000 for this one in the original post got hosed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm the guy that picked up this Spyder, I've been looking for years and clean unmodified examples like this one which were garaged their entire life in super white with the tan interior and top are rare. Tbh, I didn't expect to spend nearly $18k but I have no regrets, I am very happy with the car and it will be a permanent addition to my garage.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
I was watching that one. I was surprised to see $8,100... But, BaT has its own weird inflation rate, especially on desirable / lower volume cars.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
I'm the guy that picked up this Spyder, I've been looking for years and clean unmodified examples like this one which were garaged their entire life in super white with the tan interior and top are rare. Tbh, I didn't expect to spend nearly $18k but I have no regrets, I am very happy with the car and it will be a permanent addition to my garage.
Welcome to the club and good luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Even if I had a billion dollars I still would have no interest in a 0 mile stock 1zz MR2.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Strong price for sure, but White/Tan is not too easy to find. Time will tell if that hammer price is setting a new trend or just an outlier.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome to the group. You are just experiencing a bit of shock by some of our owners. The prices seem to be going up and you should know you are welcome here. I just paid about the same for my new spyder with 40k miles. So the fact is that if you want a paticular car you often need to pay the price. I was trying to buy my car from the owner for over two years. Same as you it was a color, options and year that I wanted. I am not embarassed by what I paid for my new 2005 Phantom Grey spyder.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
2 months ago, I just picked up a RHD MR-S with about the same km on it (from auction). First owner here in Canada (it came from Japan), and I paid $5500 CAD, or $4300 USD!!

It's fully equipped with TRD parts everywhere, sportivo suspension, shifter knob, exhaust, air filter, strut braces, etc.

So there are definitely cheaper deals out there. Whoever paid $18,000 for this one in the original post got hosed!
The TRD parts are getting hard to find. I have bought all the parts with the exception of the front stage 1. I also know the market prices for those parts. If you sold the parts you would have a free car which is a pretty sweet deal. You might even have a few bucks in your pocket. The trd header is worth at least 700 and are pretty hard to find.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The TRD parts are getting hard to find. I have bought all the parts with the exception of the front stage 1. I also know the market prices for those parts. If you sold the parts you would have a free car which is a pretty sweet deal. You might even have a few bucks in your pocket. The trd header is worth at least 700 and are pretty hard to find.
Wow, really? I actually had no idea!

To be honest, when I a placed an online bid having never seen the car before, I just thought I'd lowball it.
To my surprise, I won the auction (5500 CAD) and I actually had some buyers remorse, because I didn't know what I had actually won.

I then used some carvx website in Japan and paid some money to get some info on the vehicle, and I could see previous auctions info but I couldn't read japanese lol.
I took to reddit and had a translator try to tell me what I had just bought. That's what I started finding all the TRD parts hidden in this gem :)

The Canadian auction did not have ANY additional info posted, as far as I knew it was just a plain old MR-S sitting on a lot that was lonely :)

That's my random story! Anyways, I'm so pumped to be part of this community! This has been a car I've wanted for over a decade!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even if I had a billion dollars I still would have no interest in a 0 mile stock 1zz MR2.
That's just crazy talk, because with that kind of money you could easily just boost it.
I'm absolutely in love with my 1zz right now...so much potential!

Plus I like project vehicles, and this is a great platform to start with I think

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the club and good luck!
Thanks man!

Welcome to the group. You are just experiencing a bit of shock by some of our owners. The prices seem to be going up and you should know you are welcome here. I just paid about the same for my new spyder with 40k miles. So the fact is that if you want a paticular car you often need to pay the price. I was trying to buy my car from the owner for over two years. Same as you it was a color, options and year that I wanted. I am not embarassed by what I paid for my new 2005 Phantom Grey spyder.
Thank you and I absolutely agree, I knew I wouldn't happen on a white MRS with a tan interior like this for a long time if at all. I'm very happy with it and have no regrets.

---break---

Just picked her up, she's even better in person. Homeward bound!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts