MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im noob working on suspension, and the manual is confusing. Hope someone can help me out...:(

1. As I'm lowering the car, am I suppose to jack up the rotor/control arm in order to align the 2 lower bolt holes with coilover? I'm afraid to brute force it so wanna make sure first.

2. Am I suppose to do the jacking of rotor/control arm for both front and rear sets?

3. Manual, Page 5, said "Never mess with the SpringSeat & SpringSeatLock"(items "F" as referred) So I shouldn't mess with it, but only work with the lower Seat Lock("B") for height adjustment, am I correct?

4. However, Page 6, said ," adjust the spring as well(mess with the Spring Seat & Spring Seat Lock?), if adjusting the ride height. This is so confusing. Should/Shouldn't I mess with the spring? There are other way to mess with the ride height other than SeatLock "B"? Any different between strut height and ride height? How can I mess with the strut height?

5. Page 4 of manual, Mcperson P-3-1 diagram, "that can't be lower than 80mm". The outer rotatable McPherson bracket/sleeve always has the same length. What is the 80mm referring to? from which to which point?

6. I assume all 4 struts are McPerson, but there's A-Arm thing in the manual. Should I simply ignore them?

Anyone?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
It's been years so I don't remember exacty what I did, but I do know that you generally do not want to mess with the upper lock nut that's touching the bottom of the spring. I just made sure each of those was secure against the spring and felt fine about that. The lowest lock nut is the one you use to adjust ride height...and even that just needs to be loosened for the process. The actual lowering takes place by turning the entire housing in the lower mount. The lock nut just secures it when that's done. All that can be done when they're installed though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. You'll have to fine tune it when you drop the car and the weight settles how it will.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The actual lowering takes place by turning the entire housing in the lower mount.
After loosening the lower seatlock,
Do I have to take off the 2 lower holding bolts and turn the McPherson Bracket/housing/sleeve for height adjustment?
Or I can simply turning the strut for height adjustment with everything installed and bolted?

·
Registered
756 Posts
After loosening the lower seatlock,
Do I have to take off the 2 lower holding bolts and turn the McPherson Bracket/housing/sleeve for height adjustment?
Or I can simply turning the strut for height adjustment with everything installed and bolted?
Its been awhile for me, but Im pretty sure you can adjust the height with everything installed/bolted. Just loosen the lower seat lock (not the one the spring is resting on) and rotate the strut body. Be careful not to damage the grooves. Once youre done, retighten the lower seatlock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have managed to install the coilovers, but not very happy with the height.

I loosened the lower seatlock and rotated the strut body. It was so hard. I'm afraid to damage the grooves on the strut body if I'm using a vise grip, and it is tedious...grip on, rotate, grip off, reposite..and grip on, rotate... Any easy way to adjust the height like a ratchet wrench or sth?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I have managed to install the coilovers, but not very happy with the height.

I loosened the lower seatlock and rotated the strut body. It was so hard. I'm afraid to damage the grooves on the strut body if I'm using a vise grip, and it is tedious...grip on, rotate, grip off, reposite..and grip on, rotate... Any easy way to adjust the height like a ratchet wrench or sth?
Jack up the corner you want to adjust. Take the wheel off. Loosen the lower nutabove the mount with the two bolts at the bottom. Grap the whole strut and turn it. The strut screws into the lower mounts to lower the ride height.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
disconnect the swaybar endlink if you're having a hard time. if the front right coilover is at a dramatically different height than the front left coilover, the sway bar will add some tension making your task more difficult. this also happens if one side of the car is on jack stands and the other side is on the floor. also.... wtf vice grips. wtf!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do you guys mean I should be able to use my bare hand to rotate the strut body after loosening the seatlock for height adjustment? When the ride height is very low, you may be using 2 fingers, thumb and index, to turn the strut body... This sounds a bit like....mission of Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Okay, I found a trick here:
Time: 2:30

Use the Spring SeatLocks to rotate the strut body. Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
469 Posts
why not just take the whole thing out and turn it? much more easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts