MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is fairly dumb I know, but search function is only returning a bunch of threads about how high or low to run the car.

I'm interested in knowing how to adjust the height of BC BR coilovers. Which rings do I move and in which sequence, that type of thing?

I had found an image outlining exactly this a couple days ago but can't locate that thread again. How embarrassing, lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loosen the 2 lower rings with the supplied tools and then rotate the spring assembly to raise/lower. When done, tighten the 2 rings again. Pretty standard stuff.
Think I've actually just tightened the preload by doing that, actually. I loosened bottom nut, loosened center nut, and then turned the top nut counter-clockwise (attempting to raise the car). When I started, the point where the strut body met the lower nut measured about 1.5 inches to the point where the upper nut met the lower spring perch (there was only a couple threads exposed between the lower nut and center nut). Dialed up to about 2 and 7/8 inches. Interestingly, there was about 1.5 inches of exposed threads out the bottom of the body of the shock, which never changed. And of course, car is not-driveable it is that bouncy. Threw in the towel for tonight.

My suspicion is that I need to return the preload to its state before I touched it, then leave the two upper nuts tightened against each other, loose the lower nut, and turn the top nut counterclockwise?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BC rep recommends 5mm preload fyi.

But seriously you cant figure it out just by looking and rotating things? :lol:
Yeah I know, sad right? Interestingly, this is my first coil suspension in 11 years. Wanna know how to tune an air ride and make a two ton beast go around a corner? I'm your guy. Wanna know how to adjust the height on some cheap coilovers? I'm useless, lol. But seriously, no, I can't. Sorry :( I've literally never owned coilovers or done this before, so this three rotating nut setup looks fairly greek to me.

My "figuring out" method tells me I need to find a way to rotate the center shaft (the threaded shaft inside the coilover) inside the body of the strut (that has the 2 19mm bolts to the 'knuckle' assembly. But there's no obvious way of rotating that shaft.

The "this is easy" stuff part of this tells me there is a way to do it by rotating the three rings in a specific sequence. And since I'm attempting to raise the car instead of lowering it, almost all how-to videos or documentation are useless.

So, looks like I loosen the bottom locking nut, leave the center nut jammed against the top nut, and rotate the center nut counterclockwise? I *think* that by having those two nuts jammed together, this will force the threaded core of the strut to rotate inside the body of the strut, which mentioned above is my goal (it would appear).

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Yeah I know, sad right? Interestingly, this is my first coil suspension in 11 years. Wanna know how to tune an air ride and make a two ton beast go around a corner? I'm your guy. Wanna know how to adjust the height on some cheap coilovers? I'm useless, lol. But seriously, no, I can't. Sorry :( I've literally never owned coilovers or done this before, so this three rotating nut setup looks fairly greek to me.

My "figuring out" method tells me I need to find a way to rotate the center shaft (the threaded shaft inside the coilover) inside the body of the strut (that has the 2 19mm bolts to the 'knuckle' assembly. But there's no obvious way of rotating that shaft.

The "this is easy" stuff part of this tells me there is a way to do it by rotating the three rings in a specific sequence. And since I'm attempting to raise the car instead of lowering it, almost all how-to videos or documentation are useless.

So, looks like I loosen the bottom locking nut, leave the center nut jammed against the top nut, and rotate the center nut counterclockwise? I *think* that by having those two nuts jammed together, this will force the threaded core of the strut to rotate inside the body of the strut, which mentioned above is my goal (it would appear).

Bingo. Unlock the ones that need to move, keep the ones at the bottom of the spring locked. Use the "locked" collar at the bottom of the spring to rotate the assembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.