MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to adjust my ride hieght and the threads on the coilovers were seezed to the housing. I guess they were not designed to last more than a year and a half. Here a some picture of the damaged coilover. Not that I was trying to see what was wrong with the coilover so tried to remove it completely out of the housing. Did not work. It was unreasonablely hard to turn but it turns.

Had to use a monkey wrench to trunk the lockers cause the tool broke and the teeth on the lockers were getting damaged.

Was trying to call BC racing but no answer. I called several times.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
My Apexi WS coil overs did the same thing but took 5 years and 2 winters.Try heating the stuck ring with a small torch and tap with a long screwdriver and hammer.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Maybe the bottom mount is cross threaded.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be but there should be no reason why it is cross threaded. And all of the shocks are the same.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I having a seizing issue with this too, my rear set isnt unlocking to raise it. I soaked it with PB but to no help. Even the locking ring is getting stripped.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sorry to hear that but I have had my BCs for over 4 years now and 30k miles and they are still operating properly.

Good luck
Rasheed

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I had the same problem with my D2 coilovers, which share the same design. I couldn't get that damn locking ring for the lower housing loose. I ended up damaging the ring notches pretty good. I used a torch with no luck. Then I used wd40 plus a rubber mallet on the ring tool with no luck. Then I tried swearing at it. Then I tried giving up, which actually worked out well for me. I came back to it after a few days and gave the tool a little love tap and the ring loosened up easily.

Your theory is as good as mine, but i think it was the wd40 sitting on that thing for a week that did it. It must have eventually penetrated. Therefore, my advice is to spray it, leave it alone for a week, then come back to it.

In the alternative, clamp the strut and take a whack at at the housing with a rubber mallet, where it bolts up to the knuckle. There is more torque to be had using that protrusion than the ring tool. I never tried that for lack of table clamp.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
You want a good tip for next time. It may seem like a good idea to use anti seize but that is not what I recommend because it can make the rings turn with vibrations over time.

What I recommend is using lock tight blue. Use it liberally for any thread you suspect that is prone to rust and you will not have a problem with removal again.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'll second Dev's recommendation. The blue loctite will work, and it's not hard to 'break loose' if you need to adjust it. I use the blue a lot on small screws and bolts that are subjected to vibrations and sudden loading with another hobby. I have no trouble breaking the screws loose when needed either.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna soak the coilovers with some wd40 and wait until the weekend and see if I can adjust the hieght. hopefully I can meaning I don't have to look for another suspension set up.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
PB blaster will work better than wd-40.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts