MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I hear the press talk about the spyder I always hear that it's ugly or that it mimics a boxster the Americans even call it girlie!!!
But when i'm driving my car little kids point, people turn their heads ,I even had a guy who came up to me and told that it was a real cool looking car .
Now how does it come that the press thinks it's ugly and they all have the same opinion it seems.
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this really seems strange
any opinions? :wink:

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I guess you're right but still it's strange isn't it ?It doesn't look even a bit girlie look at the ones in the GT 300 they ain't girlie and the people don't call it girlie only the press does .

· Registered
1,635 Posts
I get tired of hearing about how the Spyder mimic's, or looks like a Boxster. Aside the fact that they are both mid-engined convertibles with side vents, they look nothing alike in a side-by-side comparison.

If the MR2 looks girlie, then the Boxster would too by that logic.

· Registered
647 Posts
I happen to think they look alike. I never thought they were girlie though. I always see Boxsters going by and go, "Ahhh Spyder!" then realize its actually a Porsche instead. Theres way more Boxsters around town than Spyders. I'm probably the only person that confuses Boxsters with Spyders rather than vice-versa. Press is really driven by image. They look at the HP and call it the poor man's Boxster. They look at the size and call it girlie. It's pretty sad. There's no other reason to call it girlie. I take anybody that calls it girlie with a grain of salt. Matterfact, I get alot of kids in FWD Civics talking crap [edited language by Don] about my car. If they say it looks like a Porsche, I tend to agree.

· Registered
804 Posts
the spyder does have characterists that looks somewhat similar to the boxter, and I dont see anything wrong with that... It is a small car and people may think that its girly, but as someone who is into transportation design, this is a great looking car. I dont care what people think of this car, I love it and I know that it has far more possiblities than most of the cars out there.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
I think the stock spyder looks girlie, but even more girly with the addition of the chrome headlights and new front bumper in 03.

I didn't buy the spyder because I love it's exterior ... I bought it because I knew there were a handfull of ground effects kits that really make it look more aggressive and not so sissy. Soon enough, it will be finished.

There is no car girlier than that damn Miata, man! It's even smaller than the spyder, the seats are too high so you appear like your higher than the convertible top. The design is too slinky. At least the spyder has SOME aggressive lines.

My 0.02

· Registered
1,861 Posts
For me it depends on the color. Red, for example, in the spyder is not as Ferrari like, as it is feminine. (sorry red owners if you're male) That does have it's advantages however as the women like the color and you get the moniker of having a "cute car". Which has it's advantages. Yellow, says "Want to be noticed". Black, "stealth". Usually one goes by and the viewer may think, what was that. White, almost the same as black, with the exception of the "guy in the white hat thing" Paradise blue, kind of a mixed bag although the quote"the chicks like love the Paradise blue" has been seen around here. Silver, lot's of silver cars out there so it's easy to get lost in the crowd. This has a definite benefit however as when you do get noticed, it's for the car rather that the body style. The charcoal Grey, I've never seen so it's hard to get an impression, same with the darker blue. I have seen other Toyota's in these colors however and my general impression varies by model. Green, (my color, so here comes the biased comment) seems to blend the cars identity. With it's Lotus heritage, and distant cousin, I am sometimes confused with driving a other that Japanese car. Some think it's British, others something else.

As far as styling goes the one other thing I noticed about cars, and people, if the nameplate of the back is recognizable, then it seems bigger. The Porsche boxster for example. People generally think of it as an exclusive, bigger, more expensive, Porsche. I exclude Porsche owner here of course because they know it's the "entry level" Porsche. Compare it to the Mr2 however, and people think of the Mr2 as a little car. Compare dimensions however, and you'll find that they match up fairly even with regards to the footprint they put on the road. Of course performance is different as well. Especially when compared to the Boxster S. Consider however what you can do with a little less that half the horsepower, lower purchase price, cheaper to insure, regular gas, and (at least in souther California) the exclusivity. Love that word, melts into a conversation the way butter melts in your mouth.

I'm sorry if angered any of the other color owners out there. In reality any color Mr2 is better than a gold plated Miata.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the MR is a far more specialty car than the boxster wichis a great sportscar nonetheless but the MR is designed with one thing in mind,build a car that's as much fun to drive as possible without making compromises.
While the boxster is a carthat can handle anything but it's (in my opinion) mostly designed for people who want to show off a bit like the SLK only the boxster is far more sporty.
By the way the greatest design piece of the MR is that line that goes from the fenders round the air intake,look at it ,that's far better than porsche's air intake's,they are just two holes in the bodywork!

· Registered
10,262 Posts
I have always admired the MR2 since they came out and never once did I think it looked girly. I get that remark pretty often though. Just last night my buddy and his wife saw it for the first time. He walked around it complimenting it saying he would like to get something fun after his kids get older. He really liked it. Then his wife walks over and tells me I drive a girls car. :roll: LOL

· Registered
2,221 Posts
Most people are just jealous and are just trying to find a reason not to like the car. And then they try to find acceptance for their rationalization by announcing their opinions to others. You’d probably find that these same people drive cars that are in direct competition with the Spyder, cost, class or performance wise.

So the Spyder is an assault and insult to those that have cars costing up to twice as much but does not perform as well. In looks or otherwise.

· Registered
91 Posts
I actually had never seen an MR2 Spyder...didn't even know they existed.
Back in late '02, I decided to buy a "roadster" I knew it wouldn't be a Miata, because they are a dime a dozen and then some...so I went to google and typed in roadster. What came up was...miata, s2000, boxter...and then popped up the MR2...Just the looks alone blew my mind.

I researched long and hard on all of the models, before I made the decision on the Toyota. From every aspect like proven drive train, to creature comforts to it's limited U.S. distribution, I was sold every way I looked. But it was the body style that really got me.

People have asked me if it is a Lotus, a Mazarati, a Porche, and even an Alpha. I have been told it is a beautiful car, a gorgeous car, an awesome car. Little boys point and try to get their father's attention, Big boys point and try to get their son's attention. I have gotten demure smiles from ladies of every age, and have been approached for rides from young and old, male and female.

All I can say, is I bought the WHOLE car, because of the whole car...but it's sleek and utterly "sports-car" body design got me to nibble on the hook for the set. And I'm glad I did.

Happy Motoring 8)

· Registered
313 Posts
I, on the other hand, do not think the Spyder is a good-looking car. But appearance isn't what attracted me ... it was the test drive.

As my brother always told me: "Looks don't make it run!"

· Registered
148 Posts
My girlfriend drove my car for a couple of weeks. The experience changed her outlook on cars. Not only was it fun to drive, but she got stares and comments wherever she went. When asked about the make she didn't know (no stock badges on car). It did bother her a little that the car upstaged her.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
From the front & looking down on it, it looks like it means business. From the side, it looks a bit plain. From the back, it looks like it means business again. Hey! That's the way I drive it. In your rearview mirror, here I come and I mean business. There I am alongside you, briefly. Then you get to see my rear end and read my plates. You have just experienced my Spyder.

Car mags & writers! What do they do on their days off for fun??? Walk?????

Gino

G

·
I fell in love with the Spyder's Mid-Motor design and sleek, ultra-light-weight body.

I picked it up, and took it straight to the car stereo shop I used to frequent. A kid came out of the back door (walking to his car) and stopped, stared, and said "Dayyyyyyyummm."

That's when I knew I'd made the right decision. 8)

· Registered
97 Posts
the first time i saw the car, the thought of it being "girly" never occurred to me. its appearance is too sharp and bold for me to look at it that way. not like a miata, or like a jetta or something. those cars have "soft" looks.

i can see why people would say its girly though. its small, its not really aggressive looking (not really passive either). to me, that does not = girly. to others, its does.

i'd say its more beautiful than ugly. definitely appreciate the looks more as i look at the car more and more. strikes me as one of those cars that everyone pretty much has to form an opinion of. its looks don't really allow someone to not take notice, whether they like it or hate it. i'm sure thats a appeal for a lot of you :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts