MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five interesting spyders. Most notable the bottom one if you're in the Syracuse area and seeking.
Motor vehicle Font Screenshot Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
972 Posts
That’s where I bought my 91 MR2. At the auction. Only was under water when we had the great flood of 1993 if I remember correctly.

All I did was changed the battery and it ran for 400K miles. Loved that car so many memories.

But beware my first auction got a 89 Mitsubishi Starion. Drove it 2 miles from the auction and engine blew up

Worst car ever made

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The 05 appears to be a good car to grab. Factory limited slip car. SMT but looks to be a possible car to fix. Watch out though, my mechanic slid my car into a curb with similar damage and nothing would line up and the car was totalled. For the last three plus years I have kept photos of 05 spyders in their wrecked condition. Many have reappeared fixed. It is good to know the history if you buy it in the future and some buyer represents it as minor damage and it was not. Super rare yellow 05 shown.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone about Copart! Haha I just bought my 04 Spyder from Copart for a pretty good deal. It only had a little rear end damage that was pretty easy to straighten out.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
438 Posts
Have to be careful with buying sight unseen, as-is. Especially if it's an SMT since they may not know anything about them and towed it in gear- trashing the transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have to be careful with buying sight unseen, as-is. Especially if it's an SMT since they may not know anything about them and towed it in gear- trashing the transmission.
The one I bought was an SMT and so far it seems fine. When I looked at it they had it in neutral, that probably saved the transmission.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried to buy a spyder from copart, made my deposit and bid on the car...bumped up my bid for good measure. Imagine my surprise when it went to a private "member's auction" after I won, sold to someone else. I hated that site after that lol

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
438 Posts
The white 03 at copart might be ok but it looks a little rough to me. It's been sitting somewhere for a while (is that mold on the seats and carpet?), the engine area is dirty and rusty (I'd guess underside is rusted based on how the engine bay appears & location), storage behind seats is missing plastic pieces (were they working on a fuel/ignition issue? resolved?). All of these things are something to consider. Listing says "run and drive" but that doesn't mean it runs properly and it may only drive as far as outside the parking lot before it blows up. Remember- if it seems too good to be true, then sometimes it is- oftentimes the deal isn't really a deal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just worth a look see if you're in Syracuse. Pretty far from Virginia.
The white 03 at copart might be ok but it looks a little rough to me. It's been sitting somewhere for a while (is that mold on the seats and carpet?), the engine area is dirty and rusty (I'd guess underside is rusted based on how the engine bay appears & location), storage behind seats is missing plastic pieces (were they working on a fuel/ignition issue? resolved?). All of these things are something to consider. Listing says "run and drive" but that doesn't mean it runs properly and it may only drive as far as outside the parking lot before it blows up. Remember- if it seems too good to be true, then sometimes it is- oftentimes the deal isn't really a deal.
Syracuse is pretty far from Virginia. So if I were you I'd skip driving up for a better look see. Kind of hard to assess the true condition from hundreds of miles.
But I think that's "surface rust". If you lived near Syracuse had the space to put it and you could get it for around $1k with fees that would be different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts