MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Blue Mica SMT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my serpentine belt a year ago hoping it would fix my squeal. It did not. My belt squeals on cold starts, shifting when accelerating, and revving in neutral. I think I have finally found the culprit. A bad idler pulley or tensioner pulley, or both. What do you guys think. Definitely the tensioner pulley for sure, but how about the idler pulley? See clips below.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
A bad tensioner will cause the belt to slip. If its just the pulley you can tell by using a mechanics stethoscope or bootleg equivalent. Engine bay sounds will always keep you guessing if listening from afar.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Any bearing will wear out someday. If any pulley does not turn smoothly, it is a potential cause, and you do not want to wait for it to seize completely.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I went with Gates also. FWIW there's a thread on here about not only removing the tensioner but servicing it as well when removing the pulley. I went that route all while replacing my alternator & belt... it only takes a few extra mins.

I can't remember if I used vice grips or a socket on the pulley bolt but definitely didn't buy a specialty tool...I do remember thinking the next time I may need to purchase the entire tensioner assembly due to rounding a bit but at my mileage (160k+) I'm fine with that...YMMV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts