MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
It's a standard double din so it should fit.
I never seemed to understand the fascination for replacing the head unit with a Scion one.
You could get a better after market double din and quickly make your own plug and play harness.
No soldering required just high quality crimps.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I never seemed to understand the fascination for replacing the head unit with a Scion one.
with the 2001 I went with the Scion because I needed the MP3 functionality! Lyle Lovett has about 150 recordings, and I would need 10 cd's for that many songs! :huh:

On an mp3 disk I can put about one kadjillion (facebook monetary term) songs!

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Does anyone start posts in the correct sub forums anymore?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It has more of a factory look I guess ... not too *flashy*. I suppose Scion owners are trying to get rid of their anyways.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
...I never seemed to understand the fascination for replacing the head unit with a Scion one.
Dev, are you still rocking that single DIN Eclipse? I didn't see a picture of it installed, only dry-humping another singe DIN unit. :lol: What have you got in right now, and do you have any pics? I looked around a bit, but MAN... you have a lot of posts to sift through.

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
Dev, are you still rocking that single DIN Eclipse? I didn't see a picture of it installed, only dry-humping another singe DIN unit. :lol: What have you got in right now, and do you have any pics? I looked around a bit, but MAN... you have a lot of posts to sift through.
I have actually gone though three different Eclipse head units. The current one that I have was purchased in 2007 and I am not exactly satisfied with the cheap Chinese build quality but it had the pro tuning features I needed for the three way active set up. The one I had before which was made in Japan was of higher quality but did not have any kind of usb provisions.

Most of the car audio head units out there today is crap but If I had to choose I would say Pioneer is probably the one to get.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I have actually gone though three different Eclipse head units. The current one that I have was purchased in 2007 and I am not exactly satisfied with the cheap Chinese build quality but it had the pro tuning features I needed for the three way active set up. The one I had before which was made in Japan was of higher quality but did not have any kind of usb provisions.

Most of the car audio head units out there today is crap but If I had to choose I would say Pioneer is probably the one to get.
I just put a middle-road Pioneer into my girlfriend's mazda, and I'm pretty impressed for the money.

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
I just put a middle-road Pioneer into my girlfriend's mazda, and I'm pretty impressed for the money.
Many times a middle of the road anything makes great value as long as the overpriced flagship is of good quality.

When a manufacture has made a good head unit then you would think they would implement a better design for the next iteration or keep the same technology if they cant.

The reason why many of these newer head units suck is mainly because the materials and the manufacturing process to make the internals cost money.

With a tone deaf public it works out quiet well because they will never know the difference as long as their ipods connect to it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm convinced that coherent thought has become a learned skill.
It always has been. Learned implies taught, and the few that have this skill, and are therefore capable of teaching it, apply coherent thought and decide against going into teaching. Parents don't teach it to their kids, they expect the teachers to do that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
With a tone deaf public it works out quiet well because they will never know the difference as long as their ipods connect to it.
Some people listen to MP3's. Some people eat at McDonald's.
To each his own, but I'll never understand either practice. Life has few enough pleasures and more than enough vexations already.

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
Some people listen to MP3's. Some people eat at McDonald's.
To each his own, but I'll never understand either practice. Life has few enough pleasures and more than enough vexations already.
I would like to think all people like what's best and sincerely believe they do but their choices are a result of coercion.
I think it's perfectly ok that people have the freedom of choice to make bad decisions and I wouldn't stand in the way of a company to be deceptive with their advertising because I believe if you have a good product it will sell it's self. What I have a problem with is protective agencies which regulate definitions, standardization and cover ups to hurt competitors to the point where good choices are eliminated or they adopt a philosophy of if you cant beat them then join them.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would like to think all people like what's best and sincerely believe they do but their choices are a result of coercion.
I think it's perfectly ok that people have the freedom of choice to make bad decisions and I wouldn't stand in the way of a company to be deceptive with their advertising because I believe if you have a good product it will sell it's self. What I have a problem with is protective agencies which regulate definitions, standardization and cover ups to hurt competitors to the point where good choices are eliminated or they adopt a philosophy of if you cant beat them then join them.
Apple? Do you mean Apple?

·
Registered
23,076 Posts
Apple? Do you mean Apple?
I don't have a problem with Apple even though I rarely use their stuff. I think they are for the most part an example of innovation and good marketing. I never liked their stuff because they do trap you into their world however people have the choice not to buy Apple or get stuck with I tunes.
I do not think they purposely tried to hurt their competition that's probably because they have a product that sells it's self.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Interesting. Trying to puzzle out how what I said triggered this response. The brain must be taking the day off today.

Anyway, my meaning was, that in my ears, MP3's sound like a tinny AM radio, all noise and distortion.
And McDonald's just tastes bad to me, concerns about nutrition and corporate hegemony aside.
Obviously, there are Billions Served who disagree. I just don't get it is all. But that's my problem, not theirs.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I don't have a problem with Apple even though I rarely use their stuff. I think they are for the most part an example of innovation and good marketing. I never liked their stuff because they do trap you into their world however people have the choice not to buy Apple or get stuck with I tunes.
I do not think they purposely tried to hurt their competition that's probably because they have a product that sells it's self.
I dunno. I think apple is a great marketing company. I used to program apps for iOS, but apple is such a brutal and manipulative company that I decided to focus my efforts elsewhere. Between their license agreements, their patent warfare, the way they treat their employees (and not just in china), and their software packaging methods (Anyone who has iTunes has safari, even though they don't realize it), I believe that what little market share they hold is due to well-concealed manipulation of the end user.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts