MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m looking to get all new speakers for my spyder because the factory ones honestly aren’t that great. I know people have made posts on this before, but I haven’t really been able to find anything that would have everything I need. I don’t know much about audio systems, so any advice or help you could give would be appreciated and links on where to buy things would also be very helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got this.
Worked at Best Buy mobile electronics for a while. You’ll need brackets to mount new speakers properly. Like these.

Orgrimmar 2 Pcs 6.5" Plastic Car Speaker Spacers Adapter Black Mounting Spacer Adaptor Ring for Toyota/Crown/Reiz/BYD F3 Amazon.com

And also would recommend speaker wiring harnesses so you don’t have to cut the stock wires up. Here.

Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BBP7Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GPEXQENR1SRK471MJ74H?psc=1

A little dynomat around the speakers helps too. If you’re just using the stock deck or even a basic aftermarket head unit you don’t need much. it’s just personal preference what sounds good to you. Both for your ears and your budget.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There's a walkthrough of how to modify your stock speakers and use the housing to install new speakers into them. Was actually super easy to do. I'll see if I can find it

·
Registered
2004, silver MR2 Spyder w SMT
3 Posts
Are there any you would recommend?
I’ve been looking at these speakers for myself because they are exact replacement fit for the main speakers and the tiny 1inch tweeters including the cross-over modules
Focal Performance 165AS Item # 091165AS
Access Series 6-1/2" 2-way component speaker system
Also, this video could be quite helpful/useful
‘’How to remove the door panels (4 screws) and Replacing the (4) speakers in an MR2”
40 min video by Professor Ozone.

This list will be a good start:
Dynamat for inside the doors
FOCAL speaker kit above.
10mm socket and/or philips screw driver
Plastic door panel pry tools
Needle nose pliers
Diagonal cutters (cutting pliers)
…And maybe these?
2 - 6” jumper wires with 2 push-on connectors (main speakers to original frame connectors,
Soldering iron & solder
Shrink tubing
A few zip ties

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I would replace the speakers, tweeters, & head unit at the same time. IMHO the best way is to just reuse the oem brackets for the speakers(oem speakers need to be cut out of them which takes 2 mins a side at most). Many ppl have had success with brackets from Crutchfield, but to me you already have brackets guaranteed to fit like a glove so why not take advantage of that. Tweeters probably need the hole in the door card to be made just a touch wider which is very easy with a dremel or a cordless drill & regular drill bit if you're sure handed.

I went with Polk speakers/tweeters, in all honesty not the best but very good for the price. To get high end audio in a convertible is an exercise in prolonged disappointment but then you'd definitely want an amp & some form of subwoofer as well.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I went with Focals; they’re amazing! Probably better with an amp though. The amp I used is the Alpine PDX 4.1, no longer made, 400 rms. + Rockford punch series sub woofer. You can hear it with the top down. You can also make speaker brackets out of Lexan but it’s considerable work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I haven't done anything with the factory door speakers yet, but I replaced my headunit with JVC single DIN unit. Wish I'd spend the extra $$ and got a Bluetooth model...

I'm running Alpine 6x9 3 ways in boxes in the cubby behind the seats. They were a great improvement and I was satisfied there, but...... I just happened to have, still sitting in it's carboard box, an 8" Kicker I bought about 30 years ago... So I built a box that would fill the space between the 6x9 boxes. The biggest PIA with it was finding a 100w RMS amp for it! Finally found a JBL that isn't overdriving it tooooo badly ;)

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Audio equipment

Dog Hood Motor vehicle Carnivore Car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts