MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have given up on finding the VIP RS3200 alarm for my 2005, several sites list it but when they call no one can get it. So while I was running around today I stopped by the local Best Buy to talk to them about which alarm they had the least problems with. The guy there wouldn't look at me and spent the whole time mumbling to his self. Not too sure if he knew up from down or left from right.

Since I was there I went inside the store to see what they offered - another joke. No clue about any of the alarms they carried. Just comments for me to look online for what they sell.

Granted I wasn't going to buy from them, too expensive vs buying online. No wonder this business is going belly-up.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Apparently, BB has some pretty non knowledgeable staff. Personally, I'd take the Spyder to a professional alarm shop/ stereo shop instead of having BB sell you a system with which they have no familiarity. BB will be dying a relatively quick death (although I have purchased quite a bit from them in the past).

By the way, here's the eBay page for the VIP RS3200 system for the Prius and others. Any chance this can be retrofitted to the Spyder?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=vip+rs3200&_sacat=0

·
Registered
782 Posts
Granted I wasn't going to buy from them, too expensive vs buying online. No wonder this business is going belly-up.
A lot of businesses can't compete with on-line prices. A local business owner (bike shop) commented to me that a lot of people come in with stuff they bought on-line that's the wrong size, want to exchange for the right size, then leave mad and can't understand why the shop won't do the exchange.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Best Buy has very poor customer service and very untrained employees.
It is a shame because they carry a nice inventory of items but if you don't
know what you want or where to look for it you can forget getting any
help.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You have to be certified to work in the car audio install department. In the winter I bought a vss3000 for my grandprix. The regular retail price included install! Couldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I worked at BBY up until a year ago more or less (worked there for almost 3 years) and honestly they never gave me any training on technology other than forcing me to read a few powerpoints about products (not specific products, just training on computers in general) and even then it was mostly how to sell those products. All the knowledge I had was what I learned on my own time at home.

You have to get lucky to find someone good there, 80% of the people I worked with had no idea what they were talking about and constantly misinformed people. My brother still works there and he tells me it's even worse now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You have to be certified to work in the car audio install department. In the winter I bought a vss3000 for my grandprix. The regular retail price included install! Couldn't go wrong.
Those certifications are earned by watching powerpoints and videos in the store. My store had a huge turnover rate in the car install department because they constantly messed customers cars up. Only knew one guy that knew his stuff there and he'd come over and install my stuff. I wouldn't take it to the other guys.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oddly enough the BB I went to in Wichita Falls had a guy that was really knowledgable in car audio, he had his own business and offered to make a mold of my the cubby area for a custom system, but I didn't have the time to be able to have that done. That was a rare experience for me. Normally when I walk into a best buy I expect to know more than all the staff combined haha.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
So, let me get this right, you are complaining that a business you had no intention of purchasing from, failed to give you free advice?

Seems a tad hypocritical to me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use them mostly for their price matching. It's saved quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Every since I tried to exchange a part there I tried to avoid them. I bought a sound card, took card home, opened box, installed, sound card was bad, removed, put back in box and returned to the store within 30min. Was told there was no returns or exchanges. Called 1-800 for customer service and was told I could exchange it. Store manager said I could not. Was told if it was opened I couldn't exchange it. Not sure how I was to know it was defective without opening it or why I would purchase it knowing it was bad.
I ended up having to drive to another location to get the damn thing exchanged. The second one worked perfectly fine.

Why is Best Buy always so damn dark? Dark, gloomy, lots of noise and employees that are of little help.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
So, let me get this right, you are complaining that a business you had no intention of purchasing from, failed to give you free advice?

Seems a tad hypocritical to me.
As they say here Best Buy is Amazons showroom.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Kind of hard to be able to afford knowledgeable staff when you lose so much business to people buying on-line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.