MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive yet to upgrade the suspension on my car and was wondering what the best coilovers for the spyder are. I dont want to spend too much so not the BEST but $1500 or so.
Im looking for regular street use with occasional autox / more spirited driving. Ive heard the fortune auto 500 series were great as they come with camber plates for rear and front. Also what is the best spring rate. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Rear camber plates are useless unless you cut a bigger hole in the top of the strut tower. Otherwise they cant be adjusted while on the car.

Reactions: itsridhwann

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bc racing been pretty good so far. I advice getting 5-7 spring rates. I got 6-8 and but rough, but works great tbh. Also if you have heavier engine or stripped front (removed tire, tray, cover etc) I would go say 5-8

Oh and they are rebuildable, and have 1 year warranty, and can be found on sale for 1000$ shipped. Honestly sub 2500$ I would choose this again

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
For mostly street driving I suggest KW v3 coilovers. The shock adjustment starts low enough to be comfortable. Koni also starts with a soft adjustment. I run 3k ft 4k rr for the street. In my experience shock adjust ability is a bit more important than spring rating, they are dependent on each other though. I don't care to deviate to far from stock for street driving.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Question. If one is going to keep the OEM wheels and the standard sized tires, is it advisable to get coilovers?

This will be solely a street application.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wheels/tires have very little to do with the decision to use coilovers.

I've been running BC BR coilovers with 4/6kg spring rates. I wouldn't go above this for a mainly street application unless for some reason you are looking for a rough ride. Price is approx $1k delivered. They give adjustable height (true adjustable not just via spring preload) & compression/rebound damping. More expensive units will give more adjustability if you feel you need it however I think they are one of the best budget coilovers for street use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At that price point, hands down, get the BCBR with the optional 4k/6k swift springs. On full soft the car feels really stockish but has great feedback. Great for the street but can be stiffened up if you want to get crazy.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I'm a big fan of DGR. I have the track kit 10k rear / 8k front. They are on sale right now, $975 for the street kit.
I wasn't aware of those coil-overs. They seem suspiciously exotic for the price. I wish Silversprint would put them on his shock dyno to see if their italian dampers are actually better than the stuff coming out of China.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I wasn't aware of those coil-overs. They seem suspiciously exotic for the price. I wish Silversprint would put them on his shock dyno to see if their italian dampers are actually better than the stuff coming out of China.
They don't come from China, they make them in their own factory in Taiwan. They are built when you order them.

I learned about them from another member here who races and drifts his k-swapped Spyder on them. I got to ride along at a drift event and was duly impressed. I've since become acquainted with a few BMW racers who also use them in their cars, both on track and street.

For my own experience, I drove from Atlanta to Los Angeles and back twice last year in the Spyder. Lowered cars really take a beating when driving cross-country, especially when forced to make time in the dark. There are pot holes out there on I-40 so big they literally swallow my car. My poor dog flew into the air when we hit one. My point here is I feel like I beat on these things pretty hard as a daily city driver as well as 5000+ mile road trips. They have performed flawlessly.

There is better gear out there, but not at this price point - in MY opinion. Which is worth exactly the amount of electricity it costs you to read what I've typed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
They sent me one of the first set they ever made for the spyder. They had some funky spring rates and the bottom mounts were wrong so I sent them back. Never heard from them again .

My set was shipped direct from the factory.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At that price point, hands down, get the BCBR with the optional 4k/6k swift springs. On full soft the car feels really stockish but has great feedback. Great for the street but can be stiffened up if you want to get crazy.
For the BCBR coils, do you know the range of ride height? Like how low can it be dropped and what's the minimum.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rear camber plates are useless unless you cut a bigger hole in the top of the strut tower. Otherwise they cant be adjusted while on the car.
For this car, How else can you create camber in the rear? Aside from those bolts or the little camber bolts.

·
Registered
750 Posts
For the BCBR coils, do you know the range of ride height? Like how low can it be dropped and what's the minimum.
I don’t know exactly what you mean by range of ride height. You can probably be about as high as stock...maybe not quite that high as stock ride height is truly off-road status...but from there you can drop it as far as anyone wanting to be able to drive their car would dare go. If for some reason you’re looking for an extreme drop then you need to go with crazy high spring rates, and at that point you may as well be riding in a shopping cart.

·
Registered
749 Posts
After installation and initial setting of ride height, how many of you “play with/adjust/experiment” with available adjustments? I’m afraid I would set it and then forget it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive yet to upgrade the suspension on my car and was wondering what the best coilovers for the spyder are. I dont want to spend too much so not the BEST but $1500 or so.
Im looking for regular street use with occasional autox / more spirited driving. Ive heard the fortune auto 500 series were great as they come with camber plates for rear and front. Also what is the best spring rate. Thank you.
I’ve got the BRs. Easy to install, but watch the ride height. My car was so twitchy with my first set up. Needed to raise the car about an inch to get it to be stable. I’m using 47mm spacing in front both sides and offset in the rear: 63 mm left and 57 mm on right. This is measured from upper lip to lower lip. Lowest point of the car is about 5 inches above ground - fits in the car wash. I set the shocks in the middle of the range. I’m still playing with the shock settings. The car drives like it is on rails.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
5 inches? Are you picking apples while you have the top down?

I pick strawberries personally.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts