MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'00 MR2 Spyder, base model
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion about the best aftermarket deck for the MR2? The mounting spot is too low to be effective as a GPS, but it seems the little cab should give good acoustics if set up properly. Looking for low to moderate cost head unit.
And is it difficult to change?
How about the speakers in the door panels, are they difficult to change? I think the BGB shows how to remove the door panel, it doesn't look easy, like 'remove a couple screws and pop-off the panel'...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Changing out the speakers is not hard. The worse part for me was removing the inner door handle garnish. Of course the plastic liner is fragile. I changed the head unit out for a much older design single din CD player with little visual ques.

·
Registered
'00 MR2 Spyder, base model
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carl.

I have a nice set of boston acoustics tweeters and woofers that I pulled from another car. I wanted to add some base without taking up the entire rear storage area. Maybe one amp for the subwoofer(s). Does anyone know if those underseat subwoofers work? anyone set up a serious audio system in the little auto? and describe, please.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
146 Posts
You can improve the sound quality by changing out the 25 watt door speakers with aftermarket ones of better quality & wattage and replacing the cassette deck with something more modern (bluetooth is a real improvement). I also added a small subwoofer (Sound Ordinance 8") to where the tool kit used to be in the passenger side cubby (tool kit with spare now). You can definitely go bigger than I did but I didn't want to lose too much of the little bit of storage the car has. Whatever you do, the car will lose a lot of sound through the top and the road noise will negate it as well. So it really depends on what you're willing to give up in terms of space and money. You may be more of a music aficionado than I am and want more. So it's all in what you're looking to gain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just popped in the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX. I bypassed the parking brake. The screen is not too low for GPS, or videos. It's a great unit at a stellar price. I also found a tiny Kenwood amp that I mounted to the back of the pioneer because the new pioneer has no CD slot making it quite small compared to the old unit. The Kenwood amp is 45 watts by 4, is about three inches by five, and it's power by the radio itself as long as your fuse is 15a or higher. It is in the 2002. So I bought the component infinitys kappas. Crutchfield said they wouldn't fit. I bent the area of the tweeters, and it fit, it was seriously less than .05 an inch. Then I mounted the crossovers into a little section where the armrest sits,its like a foam. This was going off another's user's suggestion. It was a super tight fit, so I 3d printed a cage of sorts to keep it from hitting the inside door panel. It seems to work well. I was going to use the Focals, but after hearing them in person they were way to tight and light. They would be perfect for a sub, but since I'm not running a sub, the kappas are amazing. Most set the crossovers for 0, I bumped mine up just a hint for more bass, paired with the pioneer's equalizer I get amazing sound.

I was going to have this all done professionally but the store here in town gave me an amount of 2,300 just for install. I laughed so hard, like openly laughed. I've never heard such bullshit in my life. It took me exactly two youtube videos, and three solid hours to install, and another 15 minutes to tune.

I broke a nail too, which sucked because I just put on gels. All in all it cost $875 bucks. $15 of that to fix my nail. Subs are great and all, but this car isn't my every day driver so I'll save the money for the turbo. 🤑

·
Registered
495 Posts
IMHO a touch screen is garbage in a convertible. You have to take your eyes off the road & can’t access menus just by touch. Not to mention the glare on the screen makes it very hard to see on a sunny day with the top down. I sit high enough that I can see the headlight & tail light housings when parking so a backup cam is more of a distraction in my case, I also live in NYC & can parallel park in any spot physically big enough to fit the car (a lot of practice for better or worse)....YMMV

I have a JVC unit that has a Bluetooth hookup & a remote control. I keep the remote in the shifter boot & never have to move my eyes to manipulate the HU. Initially I didn’t think a remote would be worth jack in a car so small...ironically it’s what I appreciate the most about the HU now. Depending on what features you want, any single or double DIN HU may fit your needs. An amp and sub will enhance your auditory experience at the cost of some cargo space. If you are willing to do some research & spend the money space saving pieces can be found...there are ppl that have placed small amps under the seat. No matter what you do if your goal is to totally overcome the wind & road noise of a convertible the volume required to do so will leave you with permanent hearing loss.

I would recommend telling ppl your budget, then set goals of what you want the setup to accomplish within that budget & go from there.

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
90 Posts

I wanted to go lightweight. I switched out the double din cd player with a single din Bluetooth only head unit. The new head unit has all the controls on the left side so it's much easier to control while driving.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
146 Posts
IMHO a touch screen is garbage in a convertible. You have to take your eyes off the road & can’t access menus just by touch. Not to mention the glare on the screen makes it very hard to see on a sunny day with the top down. I sit high enough that I can see the headlight & tail light housings when parking so a backup cam is more of a distraction in my case, I also live in NYC & can parallel park in any spot physically big enough to fit the car (a lot of practice for better or worse)....YMMV

I have a JVC unit that has a Bluetooth hookup & a remote control. I keep the remote in the shifter boot & never have to move my eyes to manipulate the HU. Initially I didn’t think a remote would be worth jack in a car so small...ironically it’s what I appreciate the most about the HU now. Depending on what features you want, any single or double DIN HU may fit your needs. An amp and sub will enhance your auditory experience at the cost of some cargo space. If you are willing to do some research & spend the money space saving pieces can be found...there are ppl that have placed small amps under the seat. No matter what you do if your goal is to totally overcome the wind & road noise of a convertible the volume required to do so will leave you with permanent hearing loss.

I would recommend telling ppl your budget, then set goals of what you want the setup to accomplish within that budget & go from there.
We've tried a touchscreen in another vehicle but took it out for the same reasons you have listed here: can't watch the road if looking at the screen to tap in just the right spot and the glare made it impossible to see in the daylight. If you need a backup camera, there are other options that are double din units that work without it being a touchscreen. My Sony double din unit in the Spyder has a remote that I've never really used while driving but I'll have to look into how you're using it. I was like you though when I first saw it and laughed at how ridiculous it would be to need it in such a small car unless you're using the car as your mobile boom box while at a block party📻. I really would like to have audio controls in the steering wheel like my other car but I've managed to control most everything in the Spyder without looking. I would say to try out what you're interested in buying at the store with your eyes closed and make sure it's going to fit the bill for what you want. Sometimes the buttons are placed well and other times, not so much or too small/large to be effective. JMO

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks Carl.

I have a nice set of boston acoustics tweeters and woofers that I pulled from another car. I wanted to add some base without taking up the entire rear storage area. Maybe one amp for the subwoofer(s). Does anyone know if those underseat subwoofers work? anyone set up a serious audio system in the little auto? and describe, please.
I used one of these and have been very happy.
10″ Vega Powered Active Subwoofer – VPAS10V2 – Cerwin Vega Mobile.
Edit: should have added the answers to the obvious.
Non stock, older Kenwood unit installed by PO
stock (I think) door speakers.
Sub is strapped down in the cubby behind passenger seat, using the straps that would normally hold the jack/tool kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For the folks saying you can't see the screen. This pioneer seems to not have this issue. At all. There appears to be a full sun mode as well however I have not played with it yet. Does it glare, not really because it's low enough on the dash to avoid it. So far.

Now for taking your eyes off the road. I don't have to and they may be dependant on your smart phone and head unit. I also found that Android Auto only works if you bypass the parking brake. I can use Google voice on the head unit for phone calls as it connects to Android Auto. For example I can say, "OK Google, call so and so" and call is made. It also reads my text messages if I choose to. But I don't. For Spotify, "OK Google play Spotify 90's Playlist" and it plays. The only thing I can't do is go from Spotify to radio. I have to legit touch the screen in the corner, it takes one second. I also have to use a large 7inch screen to find a station which are all on the same screen and are pre programed. Again easier than my old head unit. Volume is controlled through Android Auto if I want, but that's one swipe of the screen on any menu. Left to lower, right to raise. Easy.

The thing is, these units have come a lo g way from even just five years ago. With new firmware updates and newer phones, it's still an excellent option. Even for a convertable.

The Kenwood power pack is tiny. I seriously mounted it directly to the back of the pioneer. I mean, we live in the future!

Edited to add pioneer sells a steering wheel remote for this unit. Car is in storage for winter but I will put some photos of the set up on my profile when I get a chance.

One more edit: this head unit is lcd with led background. Probably why glare isn't an issue?

·
Registered
49 Posts
As you can see this is full glare. Full sun right on it. Still super easy to read. And to be fair a photo without glare. Top down. It's always good to talk to people who actually have these things installed before making a decision. Pioneer NEX-1500. Found it at Best Buy for $220 on sale. Had to buy it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I got a basic single din Sony head unit and replaced the door speakers with Rockford Fosgate driver/tweeter separates. Had to tweak the metal tabs on the tweeters a bit to get them in the factory positions. Phone is on a RAM mount bolted to the seat rail.

At the bottom of the center stack I added a panel with a 12 volt plug, volt meter and two USB charging ports.

Total investment, less than $200 and it sounds pretty good. I don't expect much with a soft top, it's always going to be noisy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got a basic single din Sony head unit and replaced the door speakers with Rockford Fosgate driver/tweeter separates. Had to tweak the metal tabs on the tweeters a bit to get them in the factory positions. Phone is on a RAM mount bolted to the seat rail.
View attachment 79392
View attachment 79393
View attachment 79394

At the bottom of the center stack I added a panel with a 12 volt plug, volt meter and two USB charging ports.

Total investment, less than $200 and it sounds pretty good. I don't expect much with a soft top, it's always going to be noisy.
How do you like that phone mount? It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How do you like that phone mount? It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while.
I love it. I modified it slightly, I put heavy duty Velcro on there, and the back of my phone is covered in it as well. No clips or latches to deal with. I just sit down, literally slap the phone into position, slip the 180 degree USB-C cord into place and I'm on my way.

I'm a firm believer in RAM products for durability and adaptability, I've got the laptop mount in my Sprinter van, and some various handlebar mounts for my motorcycles. Awaiting delivery of another laptop mount for my Ford van as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took the cig lighter out. Bought a cheap charging port. Then I cut out one of the USB ports on the new charger and took the USB from the radio and retro fitted it to that new charger. I had to solder a bit but it worked. I just mention it because I noticed all your wires under the radio there. I just purchased a new camera that will mount outside the car. Excited to get that one in the car gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts