MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In celebration of $3.75/gal gasoline, I am experimenting with my current tank-full to determine the BEST mileage I can wring out. I'm shifting around 3000 rpm and going easy on the throttle. It is very difficult! Prior to this test, the highest number for me was 34.3 mpg. What's the best mileage you've ever seen in your spyder?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Very easy...36.5 mpg on a 600 mile course, NJ to SC, running with cruise control for most of the distance and at 65 mph (both top down and top up if it matters). This number is a little skewed as it was after my C60 6 speed installation, so lower highway rpm overall.

This is also why I got the hard top recently, just in case gas gets really pricey, then I can share DD duty between the Spyder and the TL.

With the 5 speed, I usually averaged 33-34 on a long highway run.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I got 37 just once 100% highway at average of 70mph. Everything was stock except custom intake with Apexi filter. And new NGK copper spark plugs.
I am not exaggerating. I hate people who exaggerate on mpg's.

On combined highway and city, i get 32 during summers and 30 during winters.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got 36 to 37 on my trip the Gatlinburg, Tn. last year. Top down at 65 to 75 mph. Back and forth to work, 30 to 31 mpg.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
01 spyder with Team Moon and gutted cats: was consistant at 37. My personal goal was to get in the 40's which I did on long trips about 3 times. The BEST was a figure I still keep the gas-receipt for, because it was unbelievable. Colo Springs-Salida-Leadville-Frisco-Boulder, Over 200 miles, top down, high altitude (about 10K or above) Including 3 Mountain passes, included a leg due west, north, and east, so not likely a constant tail wind; and got home, filled her. Had 45 mpg.

I admit, I talk to my cars... seems to help!

Best mileage was always in the mountains.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also get 37 on highway-only runs with stock everything except exhaust, which shouldn't affect anything. This only happens in the South; I'm guessing that they don't have ethanol in their gas, which we do in the northeast, and I can only hit 34-35 up here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Around Chattanooga anyway, most gas contains 10% ethanol.
Might be something else then. Now that I think about it, when I do my usual drive from Boston to Durham, I stay on the interstates while in the northeast but hit the backroads as soon as I get to Pennsylvania, which usually drops my average speed by 15-20mph. That probably does it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
In celebration of $3.75/gal gasoline, I am experimenting with my current tank-full to determine the BEST mileage I can wring out.
I'd be celebrating $3.75 a gallon too. That's $0.99 cents a litre. Right now gas prices here are $1.31.9 a litre, or $5.00 a gallon. So, have a good celebration! :partytime::party::partytime::bdaysmile:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd be celebrating $3.75 a gallon too. That's $0.99 cents a litre. Right now gas prices here are $1.31.9 a litre, or $5.00 a gallon. So, have a good celebration! :partytime::party::partytime::bdaysmile:
1.33.9$ on the east coast (Canada) eqivalent to 5.07$ a gallon. Have a good celebration with 3.75$ a gallon!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Avg 29 mpg back and forth to work. Best ever was a weekend drive at 33 mpg. Worst ever was 24 mpg on one of the Razorback Runs. Gas here is still fairly low, $3.38 a gallon when I filled up over the weekend.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Just filled up premium at $4.21/gal and I get roughly 23.5mpg mixed :(. Need a retune, use to get ~26mpg.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Around Chattanooga anyway, most gas contains 10% ethanol.
I hate ethanol, piss poor gas mileage. Just another way of screwing us. Like puting crackers in meatloaf.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't use mine as a daily driver, and when out playing around average between 30-32MPG. Best I ever did was with my previous 2000 when limping home with a failing clutch. Averaged 37 on the way home.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Geez! I need to keep my foot out of it! That, plus the 10% ethanol blend, and I average about 26-27 mpg. That's combined 65% city 35% highway with a 5 speed manual.
p.s. , I get about 44 mpg in my Echo w/ 5 speed automatic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Man you guys get some good mileage. I'm getting only 25-26mpg but to be fair its a large majority of city driving. And the traffic in nyc is so bad sometimes I've had my GPS ask me if I want to switch to pedestrian mode....multiple times...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mpg

The best I have ever gotten was 38.9 and that included driving through Gatlinburg and to Clingman's Dome which is at the top of the Smoky Mountains. I normally shift out around 3000 rpm. My car has a dual Toyota exhaust system and the sequential transmission. I was using regular gas with no ethanol. I think I could get up to the mid 40's on at a steady 55mph. I have never gotten lower than 33 around town. My car is an 03.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Consistently hit 33 mpg. No jack rabbit starts. Try to time the traffic lights. However, when I get on the highway, I have a heavy foot.... still get around 33 mpg w/ 10% ethanol & 87 octane.

Other manufacturers are putting in turbos to meet CAFE requirements. I'm curious to know if a turbo in the Spyder will increase mpg.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts