MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BIG GEAR exposed 2zz
the link for the Newb's 2zz info is not working, and I need newb info.

I am still newb to my 2001 Mr2 with 2ZZ swap. I bought it a month and a half ago knowing I need to fix the E-brake.
Is the E-brake failure common on Mr2-S?

Any-who, upon trying to fix the ebrake myself I found a LARGE GEAR EXPOSED! just below the 2ZZ engine, :angry: I WAS driving it too.

here is the pic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/SteveSekellick/IMG_1068.jpg

the big exposed gear spins when the car is running. All I was told about the swap is that it was just the engine; leaving the stock 5-speed. only about 1/3 of it is exposed. the AC is not hooked up, Ill deal with that after the heat wave.

Iv got a feeling the gear should be in some type of fluid, and have a strong durable casing around it. lol

I wonder if it might be the back of the clutch/flywheel/Dif. Any one know about whats going on with my car? and which casing might belong there (weather 2zz or stock) ???

I can take more pictures next week if someone thinks its necessary.

Im going to hold off driving it until I find out what the deal is.
Ill try to get some info from the guy I bought the car from too. The guy I bought it from was active on spyderchat.com when he and his mechanic friend tried the swap.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
Thats the flywheel. You can get a cover from DDPR that will bolt on. Check my thread in the performance section I just uploaded a pic of the cover.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is the E-brake failure common on Mr2-S?
If your referring to the cable, yes. Mine would get stuck when I first bought mine. The plastic boot around the cable by the brake caliper had a hole in it causing it to rust. It is not fun to replace btw, it involves dropping the fuel tank and removing the storage compartment behind the seats.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
LOL walk away from the car and do not do anymore mechanic fixes. :lol:

I would link you to the install thread for the ebrake cables I recently did but I deleted the pics off my photobucket account by accident. Sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.