MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side black leather seat is seriously torn up, and even though my seat covers are doing an okay job right now, I want to replace them soon. I came across the following seats on Craigslist that the buyer says are from a Spyder:

I've only seen pictures of all-black or all-tan leather seats in stock Spyders, and I've never seen these two-tone ones before. Has anyone ever had a Spyder with these from the factory, or are these aftermarket?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking locally for Celica seats, and the tan 03-05 seats would be my ideal setup, but these happen to be both local and cheap, which are two words that are very good at capturing my attention. If they turn out to be slippery mofos, though, then I'm not going to bother; the last thing I need is a lack of butt grip through the corners.

·
Registered
739 Posts
given you need new seats and the 00-02 seats suck I would suggest 03-05, celica, or after market given you will be spending money to replace why not upgrade

+1 on the Celica seats. IMO they are way more comfortable than 00-02 stock seats and look OEM.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a couple local junkyards with Celica seats. In general, are they worth looking at, or should I just browse the classifieds on NewCelica?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bought mines from a local member on Newcelica.org. I would check a local junkyard if they have decent seats!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Try any source if you are looking for Celica seats, but look at the seats before you buy. Junkyards typically will give a fair appraisal of condition, but some private owners tend to be optimistic. I bought a pair of 2005 GT seats (cloth) on eBay for $50, supposedly with no damage. When I went to pick them up, the upholstery had a small blobs of glue on the passenger seat and the seat frames were badly rusted (which you don't need anyway). For that price I didn't expect perfection and they were in better shape than the stock seats in my 2002. I have been able to get almost all of the glue off, but it is a pain

Overall I like the Celica seats and they are more comfortable than the originals and look nicer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
How do Celica seats compare to S2000 seats? I assume more comfy (less aggressive), quicker install, and easier to $buy$?

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
How do Celica seats compare to S2000 seats? I assume more comfy (less aggressive), quicker install, and easier to $buy$?
I haven't sat in an S2000, but the seats look similar with the Celica seats not being as aggressive. Neither have the side support of racing style seats.

The nice parts about the Celica seats are OEM quality, easy install, and they aren't that hard to find as Celica's are starting to show up in salvage yards and some owners are replacing them with cheap "racing" seats. Just unbolt the seat back and lower cushion from the seats and bolt them to the Spyder seat frame. Even the plastics are the same.

The "best" way to go probably depends on why you want to replace the seats.

If the car is a daily driver or back road play toy, the Celica seats are a relatively cheap and easy to install upgrade.

If the car is autocrossed and used for track days, a quality racing seat may be a good investment for the extra side support.

If the criteria is just looks, get what ever looks good and doesn't sacrifice quality or comfort too much.

In my case, the stock seats were not in great shape, so finding a set of Celica seats in good shape was almost a no-brainer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
going to chime in and say white leather seats are a bad idea.

I reupholstered my sentra se-r back in the day with classic soft trim leather black w/ white inserts and they were ruined after a few years.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
hooped stylebar! [edit]: :gay: :gay:

I don't know why this emoticon exists...I guess because we are all friends and are allowed to make such jokes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, so I've found a couple of junkyards with Celica cloth seats for about the same price as tan leather seats out of a 2002 Spyder. Assuming they're all in good condition, would there be any reason for me to go with the Celica seats instead of the Spyder ones? They're asking much higher prices for the leather Celica seats so those aren't really in the running.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have had a couple cars with leather seats (one had white leather), and I try to avoid them as much as possible. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter, even the white seats. I strongly prefer cloth, especially in an open car. But everyone has their own preferences.

As for comfort, the Celica seats have pretty much the same bottom cushion as the Spyder seats (maybe a bit firmer padding, but that might be age), but the backs are shaped differently. Everyone who has seen them thinks they are more attractive than the stock seats and I find them more comfortable, particularly on longer drives.

I am not sure the changes are really big enough to warrant replacing the stock seats if the stock ones are in really good condition. But mine had some damage, and weren't in the best shape. Based on style and condition alone, the Celica seats were an upgrade and I am glad I made the change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts