MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To solar yellow owners, who've gotten panels/parts repainted:

Did your paint shop have any problems color matching/blending your yellow, to the existing paint? A few shops I've called have told me that Toyota yellows and reds are nightmare to get right. :unsure:

Is this common (ie. have any of you heard of this before when getting quotes?

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
The trick with 576 is to use a white primer base then you will get the right translucent shade.
Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
When I got my Solar Yellow ( 2001 ) Front Clip Repainted.. my Local Body Shop did not have any Trouble Matching..

Problem I do have, I can see the Three Other Colors of Yellow the Car had on it from Dent, Ding Repair of the Prev Owner.. Should have Painted the Entire Car.. but they did not give that to me as an Option.. Till they were Done!..

So my Solar Yellow Car now has Noticeable Orange Patches on the Rear Corners ..

Cap

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The trick with 576 is to use a white primer base then you will get the right translucent shade.
Ask me how I know.
How do you know? Lol but while we are on the topic of paints, it was brought up that red is a nightmare, is there a similar or different trick for getting the toyota red the right color?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I know a local bodyshop I would trust to get it matched. I'm still paranoid that it wouldn't match perfectly which is why I'm thinking about just respraying the CF hood black at the same time as the a-pillar and roof.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
How do you know? Lol but while we are on the topic of paints, it was brought up that red is a nightmare, is there a similar or different trick for getting the toyota red the right color?
Red is not that bad at all. Just use medium to dark gray primer base and it will match.
Silver is probably the easiest color to match.

If the body shop cannot match your paint then they are using a cheap system to match paint.
My paint supplier knows the exact formulation that came off the Spyder production line.
The Scion guys rave at how well I am able to match paint but the credit goes to my supplier.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem I do have, I can see the Three Other Colors of Yellow the Car had on it from Dent, Ding Repair of the Prev Owner.. Cap
Same. If I look at my car in the right light, it's a mix of 3 different yellows - fading at different rates.

Even if I had a formula for the color, it would still ultimately involve eyeballing a match to find the "best" color, no? sorry I'm not too keen on paint jobs.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I am "Color Blind and Tone Deaf"..

I do not know what color it's off By.. But I can Tell when it does not Match.. Same with tome.. I Cant Tell if it's Lo or High, But I know when it's Wrong..

Cap

·
Registered
977 Posts
also what iv learnt is that especialy when the car is older and the paint shops use computerised mixing systems, it doesnt match due to the fact that the paint on the car has faded or aged a bit and doesnt match the new paint, which is mixed to the factory colour

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dev knows what he's talking about. Light colors, ESPECIALLY yellow needs a white background to look right.

Ever try to paint something bright over something dark?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts