MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sat for about 1 month. I started it up and immediately the ABS warning light started flashing. I took it for a test drive around the block and it shut off while under way, but coming to stop and at rest caused it to start flashing again. Using the brakes at speed and engaging the ABS under hard braking didn't cause the warning light to come back on (and the car brakes fine, ABS kicks in). I don't think that the brake fluid sensor would trigger the ABS light - I'll check the fluid in the morning just in case. Is there a pad wear sensor (besides the metal squeaker)? Thought I would post it up in the meantime. Thx!

Also, searching for ABS returns zero results - that seemed odd...

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Check your brake fluid level. The ABS light blinks when your level is low. Might be time to flush the old fluid and replace with fresh, depending on your mileage and stuff.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Sounds like the fluid...if not could be faulty/sensitive sensor...sometimes people don't top off the fluid after a brake pad change and as they wear down the fluid drops below the appropriate level that triggers the sensor...looks like you're right at the threshhold.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have assumed the "Brake" light would be for the brake fluid level (and parking brake) like in my MKI MR2 and other cars. I will check it and see if that solves the ABS light warning.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It quit doing it on its own, it was probably just at the threshold. I don't drive the car much in winter so I'm going to bleed them out and refill anyhow for an upcoming autocross. If the light comes back on after all that I'll post up.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updating this - finally topped off the reservoir to full and the ABS light still comes on. It only occurs at start up and then shuts off as soon as the car is in motion. On occasion it will light up when I come to a stop (at rest) but as soon as I begin moving it shuts off.

Probably a faulty sensor - any tips on where/how to check or replace? I haven't done the research yet other than searching here - getting ready to crack the BGB now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured out what is causing the flashing ABS light - I have a Scangauge II attached to the vehicle at all times and when disconnected it stops throwing the ABS light. Not sure why it started happening now since it had been working fine. There are no ABS codes btw.

[edit] Thanks Beane. The flash is rapid and steady, no breaks (while the SG is connected). I will take a quick test drive with the SG disconnected to be sure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Actually the light just stopped coming on. It could be something funny with the ScanGauge trying to connect using the CAN pins. Send me your address and I will have a special cable made for you with the pins removed to see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
This just happened to me yesterday. ABS light flashes steady when at a stop (whether brake is on or not) and stops flashing shortly after moving again. I do have a scangaugeII attached and it reads no errors when you scan for codes.

The car had sat for a week while on vacation and the scangauge was in the other car. I did not notice the light on the morning drive, but I did switch from the back port on the scangauge to the side after that drive (still testing mounting locations). So long as there isn't an actual problem, I won't worry, but I am curious if it was discovered if it was the CAN issue LinearLogic mentioned.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (karthwyne @ Sep 17 2008, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This just happened to me yesterday. ABS light flashes steady when at a stop (whether brake is on or not) and stops flashing shortly after moving again. I do have a scangaugeII attached and it reads no errors when you scan for codes.

The car had sat for a week while on vacation and the scangauge was in the other car. I did not notice the light on the morning drive, but I did switch from the back port on the scangauge to the side after that drive (still testing mounting locations). So long as there isn't an actual problem, I won't worry, but I am curious if it was discovered if it was the CAN issue LinearLogic mentioned.[/b]
Yes, ask LL or Scangauge support about getting a non-can cable. Fixed the issue and has been great ever since.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I had read that thread, but somehow I must have forgotten where you put it. I will check that location tonight, but I think it might interfere with my leg too much. And might be a bit more of a look down than I want.

I think I might end up putting it above the left air vents, but then the wire is visible. I am currently trying on top of the steering column in front of the tach. If I fab something for the curve of the column it might be okay. I don't mind the space it takes from the tach since it doesn't get as high as 2. Now if Dev did want to fab something for the clock area, that would be cool ;) but I don't have a dremmel and I don't trust myself to not make it look ghetto if I tried.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had a ScanGauge II in my (2000) car since I bought it last September, with no problems.

This morning, just after leaving my Daughter's school (if that's relevant!), the ABS light started flashing, then when I got up to 30mph-or-so, it stopped.
I stopped at some traffic lights and it came on again, to go off again until I stopped to reverse up my drive, after which it went off again!

No codes are showing.

Will this 'non-CAN' cable fix this problem?
If so any one know where can I get one from in the UK, please?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update:
I haven't been able to repeat the above problem, but I have made my own non-CAN cable - I presume it works as I can plug the Scangauge in with the engine off and it won't automatically trigger the ABS light when I start the engine.

The Scangauge seems to work OK with no CAN signals - even shows the BHP, which is an XGauge thing.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yeah, my scanguage II did that for maybe 2 days, hasn't done it since.  I would like another cable, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of creating one like you  ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AllanE @ Jan 5 2009, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've had a ScanGauge II in my (2000) car since I bought it last September, with no problems.

This morning, just after leaving my Daughter's school (if that's relevant!), the ABS light started flashing, then when I got up to 30mph-or-so, it stopped.
I stopped at some traffic lights and it came on again, to go off again until I stopped to reverse up my drive, after which it went off again!

No codes are showing.

Will this 'non-CAN' cable fix this problem?
If so any one know where can I get one from in the UK, please?[/b]

Yes, the 'non-CAN' cable fixed it. You made your own?! Dang.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just chiming in - another ScanGuage II user and another blinking ABS light (on my 2004 Spyder).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts