MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Fibreglass is none too light for one and the panels on the MR2 already are. The only gains are in the bonnet (US: hood) and rear lid because these have sturdy frames and the doors; again because of a study frame ánd extra sip bars.
So if weight loss is your goal, fit flimsy hood/ rear deck/ doors.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Your weight savings will probably be in the negative number range. Full CF doors may even that out but thats one hell of an expensive commitment.

Reactions: Waunye11

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
You will gain weight with a widebody. Probably a significant amount of weight.
Can confirm. Even a Carbon widbody is going to be more weight. IMO there is ZERO need for a wide body. Set up properly the chassis provides more grip than you will believe. On par with supercars in low speed tight corners.

·
Registered
690 Posts
On par with supercars in low speed tight corners.
Which in the real world puts the MR2 in a dimension ahead of those. Literally. I live in touge heaven, The local roads are mountain twisties. Mind; open roads, Though very sparse there ís other traffic too; incl, coming the other way, also around the blind corners. Every cm wider is a handicap as is every kilo.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ya, you're certainly not gonna be saving any weight unless you go full carbon, prepreg and vacuum bagged. Of course thats crazy mans money. My fiberglass fender was 4lbs 11oz (if memory serves me correctly) and the factory fender is 4lbs 2oz? that's not terrible considering my fenders are widebody. However the quarter panels and are a hefty 15lbs!!!! porkers for sure! then the doors and rockers, front bumper..yada yada yada = Big fat heavy car. Definitely not the way to go if your looking for weight savings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts