MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in both an unfortunate, though not completely horrible position. What follows is going to sound kind of random, but my brain is fried today :unsure:

White and Tan, '03, one owner, all stock/original, sits outside year round, about 83k miles on it.

Someone backed into the '2. Did some body damage on the front end*

I've got a parking lot wound on the rear bumper cover that I've been putting off getting fixed, though I'm finally going to get that done as well.

and I need a new roof.

Code:
For the front end, the insurance company is covering it based on the quote I got from the body shop.  Hood needs replaced, as it's got a nasty warp to it and the front portion is 'crunched' in.  Fender and Front Bumper have some minor damage, but the shop can touch that up without replacing.
All told, I've got around $1300 from the insurance in the bank. I figure I'll be spending around $2000 total between the body shop and ordering the roof. I can go a bit higher, but I don't want to go over the top either.

I've humored the idea of body kits, but most of what I've seen that will replace the bumpers are a bit too...(gaudy?) much for my tastes. With the costs I'd be shelling out currently from OEM parts, I don't particularly want to buy just skirts and lips.

Body - Front/rear bumpers - like I said, I think most aftermarkets don't look that great, but my knowledge is limited. Mostly, I don't want anything that looks like it's going to try and eat me.

Carbon Fiber hood for less than the factory hood and paint? Maybe an option but a black hood, with a tan roof and tan interior would be hideous....though I need a new roof anyway...so...

For the top, I think I'm going to go with an Autoberry. I could do that in black, matches the hood, but then there's still the tan trim/interior. Not sure how that would look, or if it'd be noticeable.

---------

If that all makes sense, I guess it boils down to

"Are there any quality cheaper-than-Toyota-Dealer alternatives that look clean but have a bit more style than stock? The car is a daily driver, so whatever I do, it needs to be fairly resilient as well.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Most aftermarket rear bumpers won't fit what you're looking for IMO. The TRD style front lip and side skirts are one of the better additions appearance wise.

As for the black top with tan interior, my car is like that from the factory, and I don't mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most aftermarket rear bumpers won't fit what you're looking for IMO. The TRD style front lip and side skirts are one of the better additions appearance wise.
That's the conclusion I was coming to, just needed confirmation.

As for the black top with tan interior, my car is like that from the factory, and I don't mind.
I suck at visualizing, so I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I prefer a black top, installed a stayfast canvas top and in my opinion it looks a lot better than stock vinyl top.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I have a black `01 with a black vinyl top in decent condition. I have been looking at tops and think I will go with Autoberry and the Sonnenland cloth when I do the top this fall. I use the top daily and the vinyl is very stiff in cool weather. The cloth tops I see on other cars are very sharp.

Autoberry has tan in all three offerings. If you like the current colors then stay with it. Should be cooler in the sun also. I purchased their DVD install and recommend it. Personally I don't care much for the body add ons and will keep mine looking stock with only minor visual changes. I would make the rear damage lowest priority in the budget if the damage doesn't impact inspection or safety.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After finding out Conicelli Toyota won't ship body panels any longer, I checked locally...List price and not a penny less!

*grumble*

I've opted against the body kit idea. The ones I would consider are way more money than I'm willing to spend and I'd want more oomph outta my engine to backup that look.

I'm still humoring the idea of the CF hood with a black cloth top...can't decide, can't decide.

Anyone have some insight as to the difference in the "Cloth" tops vs. the Sonnenland Cloth tops? Is it worth the extra $100 or so?

·
Registered
490 Posts
After finding out Conicelli Toyota won't ship body panels any longer, I checked locally...List price and not a penny less!

*grumble*

I've opted against the body kit idea. The ones I would consider are way more money than I'm willing to spend and I'd want more oomph outta my engine to backup that look.

I'm still humoring the idea of the CF hood with a black cloth top...can't decide, can't decide.

Anyone have some insight as to the difference in the "Cloth" tops vs. the Sonnenland Cloth tops? Is it worth the extra $100 or so?
Where are you located? You might be able to find someone parting out a car.

Also you could update to the later style bumpers if you prefer the look. Still OEM so not way out there as far as styling, but something new.

TOT has group buys going in the vendor sale section, maybe they will ship you the parts.

·
Registered
643 Posts
vinyl is a stronger material than cloth for soft tops. i have vinyl in both the miata and spyder. i wouldn't go cloth as they get dirty easily and are prone to ripping. basically a weaker type of soft top.

case in point: the miata's vinyl soft top has seen hot weather almost all the time and has withstood it very well. no cracking or ripping. the issue that vinyl gets hard during cold weather is true, but if it's cold chances are you won't even be dropping the soft-top. hence that argument is a poor case against vinyl tops.

·
Registered
782 Posts
vinyl is a stronger material than cloth for soft tops. i have vinyl in both the miata and spyder. i wouldn't go cloth as they get dirty easily and are prone to ripping. basically a weaker type of soft top.

case in point: the miata's vinyl soft top has seen hot weather almost all the time and has withstood it very well. no cracking or ripping. the issue that vinyl gets hard during cold weather is true, but if it's cold chances are you won't even be dropping the soft-top. hence that argument is a poor case against vinyl tops.
I'm not sure about this, I live in canada and see a lot of convertibles drive around in the winter (salt and dirty roads) with cloth tops and they still look good. My spyder is a summer car and I installed a gahh stayfast canvas top this winter, I guess I'll see if I like it better than cloth.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts

It is enough of a problem for me that I will replace the vinyl top that is not worn out. I drive windows up heater on and top down above 40 or so. I want to be able to lower and raise the top when desire strikes. I will replace the cloth top when needed. I purchased the car to drive daily with the top down as much as possible. To each there own.

I figure I can go with Sonnenland cloth if I save money on the install. I have no practical experience with that cloth. Way back in history when I drove a `62 Guilietta the cloth top held up well, looked great. I guess I will make a small concession to looks but mostly a flexible top.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just put in the order:

Tan German Sonnenland - $689

With the ragtop cleaner and shipping: $751.00

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
$1050 will get you a new front bumper, paint, repainted rear bumper, repainted engine lid, and repainted door handle. I just got mine out of the shop last week. They bill you for prep labor, paint labor, clearcoat labor, and paint materials.

$1500 will get you a Robbin's canvas top installed. I got mine done last year. I highly recommend it over a stock top.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For the top, I think I'm going to go with an Autoberry. I could do that in black, matches the hood, but then there's still the tan trim/interior. Not sure how that would look, or if it'd be noticeable.
I just recently purchased a white spyder with tan leather trim. I assumed all of these came with the tan top, but this one had a black top. Doesn't look out of place, although I assumed it was an aftermarket top, then a little research and found it was sold like this new....

I specifically wanted the combination white w/tan interior. I'm from FL, but working in TN. I figure I'll keep this top as long as I'm in TN and paying off the car, but will replace with a tan top once I'm back in FL.

I have driven a bunch of convertibles; most without AC, and came to the realization that a light colored top works better in sub-tropical climates....sun is ferocious heating the interior with a black top...but

That said, I'm not unhappy with the black top being this far north. It doesn't 'look' as weird as I first thought.....a black hood (if putting one on, I'd paint it to match the car, else wouldn't put it on the car). Just my opinion.

The car does have tan interior, but also black.....both tops match well. I just like tan better.

·
Registered
282 Posts

*grumble*

Awww Conicelli, I stopped dealing with them a long time ago. Now a days either I go to Tri County or have someone do the work locally.

Your cheapest alternative may be to go on eBay or look in the classifieds section of this site and see if anyone has what you are looking for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts