MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't liking the limited selection of roll-bars for our MR2s... so, I borrowed from the Germans...

I wanted to replace the wind deflector with a taller one (like the Boxsters have). And I wanted to have a custom, clean look with functionality. Although... I wouldn't put my version as the safest ever... it's better than nothing.

I paid $50 for the roll bar (Craigs list parting out). I chopped the bars and welded plates to the base to mount to the seatbelt shoulder harness bolts. Powder-coated them black instead of silver. Used plastic paint to make the pads a dark grey instead of light gray.

Now, I just need to locate the center wind deflector from a Boxster and I'll be golden.

·
Registered
146 Posts
VERY NICE!! Wish I had the tools to do this!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY NICE!! Wish I had the tools to do this!
Nice job!
Unbelievable! I love the creativity that goes on in this community. Really nice.
Outstanding! I was thinking along this line some time ago but never managed to get some free time to execute. Really love it. Congratulations!
Thanks guys! I'll try to post better pics soon. I still have some detail work to do first. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it safe?
Sure. It's safe. It's just not a full roll cage.

I chopped off the lower bracing in order to fit it to the mounting points (seat belt shoulder point) and surrounding bolts. If I wanted to be race-track safe... I think I failed. But, there's plenty of strength at the shoulder belt / frame mount. If the seat-belt shoulder bolt snaps... then I"m doomed anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say I think the proportions aren't right. The Porsche parts are just too big. I certainly think the ingenuity involved is impressive. You know of course these are style bars that may have a mouse trap effect in a roll over.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to go against the grain and say I think the proportions aren't right. The Porsche parts are just too big. I certainly think the ingenuity involved is impressive. You know of course these are style bars that may have a mouse trap effect in a roll over.
Point taken, xbiker. I hope to never put them to the test... Or hit a semi head- on... Or have a tree fall on me. Just the same... For $100 in parts and powder coat... They'll do the job they were intended for just fine. I do wish the hoops aligned better with my seats... But I'm pretty happy with the look overall.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You are now my new Spyder hero.....have actually been doing some drawings to try get one fabbed much like that. On the hunt for a boxster bar now!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any waw possible that you could post and dimensions that you used? I WILL do this as soon as I can find a boxster bar!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perfect!!
Thanks, Nut!

You are now my new Spyder hero.....have actually been doing some drawings to try get one fabbed much like that. On the hunt for a boxster bar now!!!
Any waw possible that you could post and dimensions that you used? I WILL do this as soon as I can find a boxster bar!
Cool. I wish I had taken pics throughout the process.
Here's the basic process:

1] I made a cardboard outline of the hoops and crossbar.

2] I placed the template behind the seats and test fit with the top opening and closing.

3] We (my auto body buddy and I) pulled all of the plastic pieces from behind the seats to expose the cross bar and seat belt harness mounting points

4] We created plates that would bolt to the seatbelt harness points on each side

5] Measured multiple times and cut a rough-cut approx one-inch below the final cut point. Then test fit... then final cuts at the correct angle.

6] Bolted the plates in and tacked the bar in place.

6b] Oh... and cut the plastic trip pieces where the tubing would come through

7] Retested top for clearance.

8] Made sure the belt harnesses could still swivel correctly

9] Weld it up

10] Powder coat and install

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Genius! This is great! I am very interested in this. Can you post some interior shots? Please:) You wouldn't happen to have any pics with the plastics out of the way would you? Or pics of how the plastics were modified?

It has been a while since anyone has done something that impressed me on SC... Great work!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Steve, is the bar round and what is the diameter of the bar. I am going to start looking for rubber bushing to go in the trim piece cutouts to dress it up a bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Genius! This is great! I am very interested in this. Can you post some interior shots? Please:) You wouldn't happen to have any pics with the plastics out of the way would you? Or pics of how the plastics were modified?
It has been a while since anyone has done something that impressed me on SC... Great work!
Thanks, Mateo. I don't have any pics yet. I just didn't grab the camera while I was doing it... dirty hands, etc., But, I need to yank my sub box soon... and when I do, I'll pull the plastics too so you can see the fabrication.

Steve, is the bar round and what is the diameter of the bar. I am going to start looking for rubber bushing to go in the trim piece cutouts to dress it up a bit.
The bar is rounded triangle... and not easy to cut a hole for. I haven't trimmed mine yet... I'm planning on using automotive door seal or similar rubber. I still have to figure out the finish work... but, I'll keep everyone posted as I do it. (With more pics this time)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm gonna go against the grain too (kind of) Great ingenuity, I'm undecided wether I like this or not.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.