MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between a BP and MSMB. I am just wanting to improve feel and handling on my daily drives. I don't autocross. I have read more than one review that indicated that the MSMB is an improvement over the BP but that it bottoms out on speed bumps and scrapes the ground when entering certain driveways. Is this scraping issue something that I should expect if I choose the MSMB? Does yours?

Thanks...

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I personally think that the breastplate will be fine for your application. This isn't to say that the MSMB isn't the cat's meow, I'm sure it is, but the breastplate does a fine job and it leaves a little money left over for more bracing. I found a cumulative effect when the car had all 5 of the traditional braces from front to rear, so I think that's what you should be shooting for if possible.

But, if you've got MSMB money, good luck. I really don't imagine that the MSMB would present a huge risk of scraping over the breastplate, as the breasplate is actually inside the design of the MSMB. Shouldn't really hang THAT much lower. Mine never scraped and the car was lowered. My other thought is that if did scrape on these rare occasions I wouldn't be that bothered by it. It's a pretty substantial chunk of metal and it's under the car, out of sight. A scrape mark on it is one of the lesser disasters that could happen.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I have the MSMB. It scrapes, but has nothing to do with the design of the brace. I am happy it is the brace rather than the frame.
Gee, I wonder why your MSMB scrapes? :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Only time I hit my MSMB was at gas station, on one of those fill covers for the underground tanks. It was a hard hit too. Push the vehicle up as I went over it. Scrapped the brace up pretty good, but it’s still there and removes and reinstalls fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the stage three bracing from Corky and Company (thanks this rocks) including the MSMB. My thoughts on it catching the ground is that the car would have done that anyway compared to without the brace. It is mounted in between, for lack of a better term, the frame rails and is no thicker than the rails. I will freely admit that I have had this on my car for so long that I have forgotten what a non-modified car drives like (Feb of 08). As for the way car drives it seems so much more stable when cornering. I don't think that the car handles better; it is so much more stable that you can push it further than before. I attribute this to the suspension is doing the work not the frame. When I have the snow tires on it the ride is like a GT car. I have heard that the MSMB reduces the cowl shake the most of all the bracing available. I would HIGHLY recommend it. As for the argument for the BP vs the MSMB I can't really answer that for you. My mentality with this car has been the more bracing the better.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I also have the full set of bracing including the MSMB. I have a stock suspension and have had no major scraping problems. If I took the brace off, sure, it would have a fair amount of scrapes on it. Most of them were from situations that probably would have scraped the bottom of the car anyway, but I don't scrape it in normal or spirited driving.

I highly recommend one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone.... I appreciate the advice. Definately getting a BP or MSMB. Still undecided as it's just my daily driver. I would go with the BP but there are so many comments on the forums, from people that tried both, regarding how much more "amazing" the MSMB feel is as compared to the BP. Trying not to do this brace twice. Also, someone threw in an offer on an original TTE mid brace to add more options to ponder. But I guess it's a good problem to have...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am trying to decide between a BP and MSMB. I am just wanting to improve feel and handling on my daily drives. I don't autocross. I have read more than one review that indicated that the MSMB is an improvement over the BP but that it bottoms out on speed bumps and scrapes the ground when entering certain driveways. Is this scraping issue something that I should expect if I choose the MSMB? Does yours?

Thanks...

I have a the MSMB and I have never scrapped the brace. I live in Houston where the roads aren't perfect and speed bumps are sprinkled all around town from the speed bump fairy.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Thanks everyone.... I appreciate the advice. Definately getting a BP or MSMB. Still undecided as it's just my daily driver. I would go with the BP but there are so many comments on the forums, from people that tried both, regarding how much more "amazing" the MSMB feel is as compared to the BP. Trying not to do this brace twice. Also, someone threw in an offer on an original TTE mid brace to add more options to ponder. But I guess it's a good problem to have...
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but for a DD I'd recommend the BP (I've owned both). The MSMB will definitely give you more of a go-kart feel. Right now one of my Spyders has an MSMB, the other has the stock stamped-steel plate. Once I got past the 'feel' issue, it didn't take long to realize the better-handling car of the two would always be the one wearing better tires.
The BP is a good compromise between the two, and costs a ton less than the MSMB.... and doesn't get crunched quite as often.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mike has a valid point regarding better rubber. This could also be carried over to suspension bits as well. I have the MSMB, with Sportivo suspension, which lowers the car a bit. I'be never scraped the brace, but I don't take speed bumps at 30 MPH either. The daily driver thought is valid as welll. If you've got the dough and are concerned about after purchase remorse, but the MSMB. Otherwise, save some money (for other mods) and get Corky's plate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts