MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took that little brake light off of the engine lid so I Could lay vinyl stripes. I decided to sand it with very fine sandpaper and then use rubbing compound to shine it up and restore it, (As you would to a headlight) However the after effect looks worse than the light did to begin with. I should have just left it alone. Does anyone know where to get a new one from? I am having trouble finding this part!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
You should go and dig through the old classifieds here and PM people who did a part out on their Spyder. Or try www.car-part.com . Good luck!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Or you can buy my used one that is good condition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plast-X is what you need.
I have some, but never got around to using it.
Perhaps it actually works!
Even though I already scuffed it with sandpaper? I think I have an idea. I used 350 grit sandpaper, I now realized I probably need to finish with 1000-2000 grit and wet sand it. Then I could use a drill buffer with rubbing compound to shine it up. I did my head lights this way before and they turned out great. That is why it was weird that this back break light was still foggy after sanding, but I believe I just need to use a finer grit :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Even though I already scuffed it with sandpaper? I think I have an idea. I used 350 grit sandpaper, I now realized I probably need to finish with 1000-2000 grit and wet sand it. Then I could use a drill buffer with rubbing compound to shine it up. I did my head lights this way before and they turned out great. That is why it was weird that this back break light was still foggy after sanding, but I believe I just need to use a finer grit :)
Ooooh, 350 is only considered fine grit if you're sanding wood. I'd step it down from there (600 800 1500 all wet) and hand polish it. Machine polish will eat up plastic and/or make swirlies.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dude,
Save yourself a polishing nightmare and get the guys used but good condition one.
^^ yup polishing sucks and the uv coat can be a nightmare.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ooooh, 350 is only considered fine grit if you're sanding wood. I'd step it down from there (600 800 1500 all wet) and hand polish it. Machine polish will eat up plastic and/or make swirlies.
Did it today, it restored the light back to normal!! THANKS!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude,
Save yourself a polishing nightmare and get the guys used but good condition one.
Not sure what you mean, but I restored it back to normal. In like 15 minutes. Sanded, Polished, lens protector.. brand spankin new!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not sure what you mean, but I restored it back to normal. In like 15 minutes. Sanded, Polished, lens protector.. brand spankin new!
The lens protector tends to wash off for some reason I hear shop grade clear is good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts