MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*This thread is just to get an idea of what others may have done in the past. I will do more personal research but was just trying to get ideas*

Short story, there's two bolts that hold the caliper and I am removing them to put on new rotors. I was able to do the driver side but the other side had one bolt that would not move at all. I took it to a local shop knowing that it might be broken when trying to be taken off. And...it broke. The mechanic told me he wouldn't remove it until I got a bolt ordered in which I got from Toyota yesterday. He was talking about heating it up to get it removed. Has anyone done this? Know a good reference guide? Know any methods of getting to bolt out. The head of the bolt is broken off now.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
Yes heating it up is a common way to remove a bolt. But Id be carefull with the brake lines being so close.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
There are big o-rings that seal the caliper pistons. You'd want to limit the heat to avoid cooking these o-rings. Make sure the brake system is open in case pressure builds up in the lines and starts busting things upstream (like in the master cylinder). Hopefully the caliper lugs are exposed "ears" that would heat up before transferring lots of heat into rest of the caliper. Success (and collateral damage) will all depend on the experience of the guy doing the heating.

Alternatives - drill the center of the bolt and use an "easy out" reverse thread tap thing. I've never had them work successfully for me. Or, simply drill the center of the bolt larger and larger until all that's left are thread shards that you can pick out with an awl. This only works if you start DEAD CENTER on the bolt. I always screw up this method also, and end up with an egg shaped hole. It takes skill.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Alternatives - drill the center of the bolt and use an "easy out" reverse thread tap thing. I've never had them work successfully for me. Or, simply drill the center of the bolt larger and larger until all that's left are thread shards that you can pick out with an awl. This only works if you start DEAD CENTER on the bolt. I always screw up this method also, and end up with an egg shaped hole. It takes skill.
I would never use an easy out. If you break it off, you can't drill them out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna be quite the adventure tomorrow taking it out.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I broke a caliper bracket bolt in the rear of my spyder earlier this week. I removed the caliper from the bracket so the heat wouldn't affect anything, which didn't help the broken bolt anyway.

I ended up drilling the center of the bolt out, starting with a small drill bit, and slowly working up to larger bits. When the bolt was basically a thin, hollow tube, I used a punch to separate it from the bracket and chased the threads with a tap.

if worse comes to worse, you can drill and helicoil the hole as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I broke a caliper bracket bolt in the rear of my spyder earlier this week. I removed the caliper from the bracket so the heat wouldn't affect anything, which didn't help the broken bolt anyway.

I ended up drilling the center of the bolt out, starting with a small drill bit, and slowly working up to larger bits. When the bolt was basically a thin, hollow tube, I used a punch to separate it from the bracket and chased the threads with a tap.

if worse comes to worse, you can drill and helicoil the hole as well.
Man oh man. What an adventure. Same story for me as well. It was my back caliper bracket as well. Drilled it, heated it, torched it. Nothing worked. I eventually just kept drilling it till the bolt was gone and re-threaded the hole. I feel closer to my car now. We had a good bonding experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.