MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 syder
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking back through some old threads and checking links to some bushing kits that are apparently not made anymore. Anyone have any recommendations? It seems they are still available for gen 1 and 2 but not the spyder. Thanks. Getting my winter to do list together. Seems prothane was the last co that had a full set.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Super pro makes all suspension bushings for the spyder. I installed all new bushings last year as one of my winter projects. Here’s a link to their U.S. Based website.

·
Registered
2001 syder
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super pro makes all suspension bushings for the spyder. I installed all new bushings last year as one of my winter projects. Here’s a link to their U.S. Based website.

Thanks. What are your impressions? Any squeaks. My car only has 40k on it but I figure the rubber is about shot due to age.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No squeaks whatsoever. The suspension feels much firmer, although admittedly I did change my tires, springs, struts and added bracing so it was hard to tell how much of a difference the bushings alone made. When checking over the suspension if you can move the suspension arms easily with a pry bar and there is a lot of slop or play in the bushings then you know they are shot. Another tell tale sign of bad bushings is they have cracks in them upon visual inspection. Even with low mileage the age of the bushings will also play a big determining role as to what kind of condition they will be in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Short response: Thank you for the good reports on Superpro.
Longer version, although I’ve been a Member on here for some time and read the posts and check the Torque references occasionally, this is only my second post! I’m more active on the mr2 roc site in the UK.
I would second that the rubber bushes deteriorate with age, my 2002 car is on around 67K mikes and cracks are visible in the front control arm / lower wishbone rear bush ( the larger round one).
The popular method of rectification in the UK is to replace the complete arm with an after market arm, often advertised as suitable for a Yaris/ Scion in the USA.
But, quality, particularly of the ball joint has been reported as not always of the best.
Polybushes are typically, generally only used on track day cars in the UK.
I did intend to replace the bushes with after market rubber bushes, but, particularly after talking with @dev via pm. I shall be using Superpro, that I believe/ hope are a better diy option. I have replacement, Moog, ball joints am awaiting supply of the bushes and replacement bolts.
In case your wondering why, after all this time I’m posting today, the UK Forum is undergoing maintenance for a few days and I do like to talk. Thank you for reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts