MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this but I don’t even know how to accurately describe it and I unfortunately don’t have the owners manual so I’m not sure what this is…

My 03 has a button near the factory fog light switch that looks like an ejector seat option. What is this button?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The button only activates if there is a passenger detected in the seat. I use to play with the button since I didn't think it did anything.
Sadly, I was cruising with a passenger one day, pressed the button and the car yeeted him across all ten lanes of interstate 5.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is probably to disable the ultrasonic alarm. Does it have sound waves radiating upward?
So, probably this? Switch to disable the interior alarm sensors.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So, probably this? Switch to disable the interior alarm sensors.

That's exactly it. My motion sensor can tell when the frogs get out of bed in the pond two farms away.

It's just part of the routine now, hitting that button every.time.I.get.out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's exactly it. My motion sensor can tell when the frogs get out of bed in the pond two farms away.

It's just part of the routine now, hitting that button every.time.I.get.out.
Me too. I wonder if there's a way to disable it permanently.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Me too. I wonder if there's a way to disable it permanently.
If you figure that out, please post here. My understanding is it's a function of the ecm which may or may not be able to have that function disabled by flashing it, but I'm not really wanting to roll the dice with my ecm.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The button only activates if there is a passenger detected in the seat. I use to play with the button since I didn't think it did anything.
Sadly, I was cruising with a passenger one day, pressed the button and the car yeeted him across all ten lanes of interstate 5.
Hahah “yeeted him”

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you figure that out, please post here. My understanding is it's a function of the ecm which may or may not be able to have that function disabled by flashing it, but I'm not really wanting to roll the dice with my ecm.
Ok I think I found a solution.
I was able to find where the radar sensor was mounted and I disconnected it. I've done some tests and the alarm doesn't seem to go off by itself anymore.
The sensor is located behind the radio under some carpet.

You can leave it in place and just unplug the connection.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So we’ve confirmed this button is supposed to disable the radar alarm when the top is down? Is the alarm on or off by default?

·
Registered
162 Posts
So we’ve confirmed this button is supposed to disable the radar alarm when the top is down? Is the alarm on or off by default?
It disables the radar function only for one cycle. It's on by default every time you set the alarm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My spine hurts just thinking about contorting myself to reach down there!
That was the easy part. I spent all day disassembling the interior, looking for the sensor.

According to the installation instructions, it's supposed to be mounted somewhere under the rear storage compartment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have that foam covered plug and wire sticking out from the driver's side of the center console; always wondered what that was. I guess the previous owner was trying to stop the 3am false alarms on this car. I can attest that unplugging this module, as the previous owner did, does not stop the false alarms in my '03 Spyder. YMMV Back to searching the forums for the next idea...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have that foam covered plug and wire sticking out from the driver's side of the center console; always wondered what that was. I guess the previous owner was trying to stop the 3am false alarms on this car. I can attest that unplugging this module, as the previous owner did, does not stop the false alarms in my '03 Spyder. YMMV Back to searching the forums for the next idea...
unplugging the foam plug from the radar sensor stopped my false alarms from going off. Not sure why it doesn’t for you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts