MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmin and me were talking today about doing the AROSC time trial at the end of March. They already have some MR2s that run with them regularly. I want to get some more spyders interested.

Event is in conjuction with NCRC but we are running with AROSC so we can do their time trial. Price is reasonally low $110+$25 transponder rental.

They are running configuration #1.

We can all run in the same run group. Should be fun.

This is how they class their cars.
http://www.aroschpd.org/info/ClassesNonAlfa_2012-01-01.pdf

http://www.aroschpd.org/

Who is in? I will also try and get some MR2OC guys interested?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I was going to take advantage of the lower price from NCRC, but how could I refuse a good competition? Count me in.

I'm in the O class, with a flat 12.0 adjusted power weight ratio. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang 12 is low what is weight/hp?

Looking at your car I get. 2000lbs/140hp=14.29 - 0.5 for suspension=13.79.
Still class O

I think all 3 of us will end up in a different class.

Cosmin should end up in Class N.

I'm in Class L.:icon_mrgreen:

It will be the turbos first track day. Hopefully it's holds together.

Hopefully we can get a couple of more drivers to join.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Dang 12 is low what is weight/hp?

Looking at your car I get. 2000lbs/140hp=14.29 - 0.5 for suspension=13.79.
Still class O

I think all 3 of us will end up in a different class.

Cosmin should end up in Class N.

I'm in Class L.:icon_mrgreen:

It will be the turbos first track day. Hopefully it's holds together.

Hopefully we can get a couple of more drivers to join.
Class L, what a baller. :wub: I really want to see your car in action...

Classing my car requires a figurative ton of guess work.
Last I dyno'd my car, it was with the same setup, but with the stock flywheel/clutch, and a prototype of the Che dual canister exhaust. It dyno'd at ~130whp. I think I recall a stock Spyder gets about 114whp, which means ~25hp is lost getting to the wheels. So, add 25 to 130, and that brings me to 155 base horsepower.

My weight is guesswork. At some point in time I stopped measuring the weight of the parts I removed/added. I think I am at 1,950, so that is the weight I used for my calculations.

Then I subtracted 0.50 lbs/hp for the suspension. That brings me at about 12 flat, but I have a feeling I'll be classed in the next class because all my guessing is going to turn some people off, even though my car probably in fact weighs more than I think. If I remain in O, then I should be in the ideal spot, right at the top of the allowed power/weight. If I get placed in N then I will most certainly get reamed by EVOs and S2000s (oh, and Cosmin). Exciting!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their time trial is very lax. It's just for fun. Get a trophy of some sort. They dont tech your car. It's self tech. Whatever numbers you give that's what they go by. Just be honest.

Sometime AROSC bring scales to the track. If you want to weigh your car it's usually $20 cash. Completely voluntary. The scales are good to check the corner balance too.

I will be very timid with my car on that day. I want to make sure everything is working fine. If I get a clear lap and the car is running well. I will go for 1 hard lap and put a decent time. All you need is 1 good lap. Most of the sessions I will be datalogging.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Their time trial is very lax. It's just for fun. Get a trophy of some sort. They dont tech your car. It's self tech. Whatever numbers you give that's what they go by. Just be honest.

Sometime AROSC bring scales to the track. If you want to weigh your car it's usually $20 cash. Completely voluntary. The scales are good to check the corner balance too.

I will be very timid with my car on that day. I want to make sure everything is working fine. If I get a clear lap and the car is running well. I will go for 1 hard lap and put a decent time. All you need is 1 good lap. Most of the sessions I will be datalogging.
If they bring the scales then I will weigh it for sure. I am most curious what my efforts have earned me.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am registered for Saturday Point-by group.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Saturday point-by group for me as well... if the event organizers let me. I don't want to class myself too low. Trying to pass nervous new drivers sounds more dangerous than letting experienced drivers pass me. On the other hand, I am a beginner that can't tell reverse from first gear. What a dilemma.

That said, getting there by 7 rules out driving up in the morning. Anyone up for sharing a 2-bed room on Friday night?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Point-by for both Saturday and Sunday are FILLED UP. I was placed on the waiting list. Should no spot open up, I will be moved to Solo. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Point-by for both Saturday and Sunday are FILLED UP. I was placed on the waiting list. Should no spot open up, I will be moved to Solo. Just a heads up.
Let just move to solo. There will be a lot of slow cars but it's better than being in different groups and not having time to hang out. Also what if SOLO fills up too before the put us in the group.

I was considering moving to Open passing group but then we would be in two different run groups.

I'm going to tell them to move me to SOLO.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
These are the days I wish I still had a MRS :). Please post pictures and videos after the event. Mustafa, your 2ZZ should move at buttomwillow especially with that much power. What's the weather going to be like that day?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are the days I wish I still had a MRS :). Please post pictures and videos after the event. Mustafa, your 2ZZ should move at buttomwillow especially with that much power. What's the weather going to be like that day?
This will be the spyders first track day with the turbo. I'm going to take it easy and make sure everything works right.

I want to dial the boost down to a safer level but I'm getting boost creep. At high RPM it still hit 9psi. I think the turbo kit was sold as a kit but not as extensively tested as I would have liked.

I don't want to run more than 7-8psi at the track. I will have to find a way to fix the kit.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This will be the spyders first track day with the turbo. I'm going to take it easy and make sure everything works right.

I want to dial the boost down to a safer level but I'm getting boost creep. At high RPM it still hit 9psi. I think the turbo kit was sold as a kit but not as extensively tested as I would have liked.

I don't want to run more than 7-8psi at the track. I will have to find a way to fix the kit.
If it's an internal gate, the only solution is going external to completely alleviate creep/spike. Which boost controller are you running? In the old days we used to run pop up valves, you can run a 8psi valve on the IC piping to prevent major issues.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it's an internal gate, the only solution is going external to completely alleviate creep/spike. Which boost controller are you running? In the old days we used to run pop up valves, you can run a 8psi valve on the IC piping to prevent major issues.
Internal gate. I use an HKS EVC-S boost controller.

With the pop-up valve would I loose all boost when it opens?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Let just move to solo. There will be a lot of slow cars but it's better than being in different groups and not having time to hang out. Also what if SOLO fills up too before the put us in the group.

I was considering moving to Open passing group but then we would be in two different run groups.

I'm going to tell them to move me to SOLO.
That seems like a sensible plan. I will take myself off the waiting list for point-by and remain in SOLO. I need someone to show me the line for this track anyway, as it will be my first time.

To all the people requesting, I will be logging video via GoPro all day, as usual.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Internal gate. I use an HKS EVC-S boost controller.

With the pop-up valve would I loose all boost when it opens?
Anything above the pop up valve spring you use. It's a safety device that does not fail. You won't be "losing" necessarily, you will be "saving" your engine. B)

The best option is going external WG. You will not have any creep or spike. What size turbo you running?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anything above the pop up valve spring you use. It's a safety device that does not fail. You won't be "losing" necessarily, you will be "saving" your engine. B)

The best option is going external WG. You will not have any creep or spike. What size turbo you running?
I think the pop off valve is a good idea. I think we will tune to 8300rpm with whatever boost we get. Then lower the RPM to 7800 and use the pop valve for safety. Where do I get the valve?

I am using a Gt28rs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts