MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a neebie to MR-2. I just bought one and it came from the dealer with a 4500 mile warranty. The warranty supplier is Protection Plus. They just sent me a notice to allow me to extend the warranty out for 48 months. With all the talk of the pre-cat causing engine death - I have not checked mine (I'll do that today), should I extend the warranty? It covers a blown motor. Anyone have experience using an aftermarket warranty to cover precat induced failure?

BTW: this forum has been awesome in helping sort out the car.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I don't believe in aftermarket warranties either. Get the pre-cats out as soon as possible. You'll sleep better at night.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Don't extend the warranty. The fine print is a killer. There are numerous stories on this board about dealers and warranty companies refusing claims for precat failure because "Sir, this is oil starvation. You didn't keep your oil levels up. There is no Toyota bulletin or recall regarding the pree cat of which you speak."

Some people argue and win but it is a huge headache.

What model year is your Spyder? If it is '03+ I would not worry, but others on this board will tell you different.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
After a dealer rebuilt my engine, then replaced my short block, yeah I'd definitely recommend the extended warranty wow I can't believe the response on this.

-Spargo

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
For Spargo and Glenonoka: were your engine failures precat related? I can understand why you would recommend the warranty, but I also see Mark's point of the company refusing the repair based on the fine print- I unfortunately don't trust the warranty companies.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Its hard to say really, precats are a valid theory but its not like I had them strain the engine and check for the materials found in cats. In the end though I did gut mine to prevent future issues. Then my car threw up oil all over itself... lol.

-Spargo

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long has it been since you rid yourself of the precats and do you lose oil? If so, how much?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sounds like a dealer to dealer thing, when I took mine in they were happy to replace even though it was mostly on their dime. With the rod knock the second time when they replaced the shortblock Toyota ate 1/3rd of it not that it made any difference to me.

-Spargo

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I thought the same thing, but....
Second engine, different dealer. Greasy prints all over the car front and back. Missing pop-its and screws front and back, Missing valve cover push clip, broken rear hood rod clip, screws from another vehicle. Denial that they were responsible for anything even when I showed them before I took the car off the lot. Just kind of shrugged their shoulders at the greasy hands prints everywhere and they had the nerve to complain to me about all the money they lost on the warranty work. She hasn't been to a Toyota dealer since. Life is good.... now. :)
Wow, this is why I take before and after pictures, and the shop I went to forced you to go into a white room where multiple cameras recorded the hand-off. If I were you I would have gone up the chain and complained to Toyota corporate but then again we all pick our battles maybe it wasn't worth it to you. Really I think this is more of a whole car industry thing though, there are plenty of horror stories here I don't know what draws so many jerks to the auto industry, and then you've got a few diamonds in the ruff it seems. I've certainly had more bad experiences than good overall, the same shop also hit my car with a truck and didn't even offer me a loaner while they fixed it, oh well, choose your battles lol.

-Spargo

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The complaints that I made to corporate about Atlanta Toyota fell on deaf ears. They actually said they cannot do anything, and essentially that they did not care.
They bumped my complaint back to the idiot that I was complaining about. And he totally shrugged me off and voiced the fact that he didn't give a flying f**k that I was unhappy with a 2 hour oil change (they have a 29 minute guarantee).

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
That's a good point.I didn't think about that.Luckily I have had Zero problems.(Knock On Wood)
what are you gonna do when pontiac closes their doors?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts