MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is my first post. I am looking for a spider that I can start as a project. I think I found a great find but need the community advice. Its a 2001 Spider with 130K, It has some front end damage. It rolled down a hill and into a poll.
Ist question, can anything in the front cause the engine to not turn over? The starter spins everything but I am not hearing the engine turn over. Just a high pitched starting noise.
The car does want to lurch forward if in gear, seems to have compression.
Could there be a gas cutoff in a front end accident? Or a safety something causing the engine not to engage?
#2 Is there any way to check codes without a code reader. Ex counting flashing lights.
#3 I can get this car for $1000, as a project car up above my DD on a lift is this about the right price? Hood, Cross bar, Front bumper, lights, radiator need replacing, . Fenders look great and alignment is still good.

I am really excited about getting a spider and want some guidance.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to read the codes without a reader (not 100% sure though), but you can get a cheap reader of ebay for something like 30 - 40 $. Look for "U380".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Your prob right about the hill...
The airbags did not deploy thou.

My goals are to create a fun DD for my wife. But because of a lift I can work on this project and have it done by fall without it being in the way.

Budget-
I initially didn't want to spend more than 4-5K.
Does 5K just for the front end sound right? I can understand at a shop those prices. But 5K in parts? I did a price breakdown of the most glaring parts and came up with about 2K. The way it hit was lucky, it looks worse than it is, because all the Impact focused on 3 inches of the car. The engine is my largest concern. He said after he drove the car hot for a few miles and the oil did smell burnt. If I had to find a new block what would that put me back in parts?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Your prob right about the hill...
The airbags did don't deploy thou.

My goals are to create a fun DD for my wife. But because of a lift I can work on this project and have it done by fall.

Budget-
I initially didn't want to spend more than 4-5K.
Does 5K just for the front end sound right? I can understand at a shop those prices. But 5K in parts? I did a price breakdown of the most glaring parts and came up with about 2K. The way it hit was lucky, it looks worse than it is, because all the Impact focused on 3 inches of the car. The engine is my largest concern. He said after he drove the car hot for a few miles and the oil did smell burnt. If I had to find a new block what would that put me back in parts?
I personally would pass on this one.For the price,repair cost and upcoming engine replacement.You could find a few 2000-2002 Spyders For 5K with 130,000 miles without any major body damage.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
If the owner drove the car after that hit he probably overheated and seized the motor. Pull the hood and check the front shock towers for any wrinkles where the frame rails attach. I would go into the deal thinking blown motor and bent frame.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
That car is done. It's only good for a part out car period. The work to bring that car up to specifications to pass any kind of inspection is a risky venture to say the least.

That car is only good for a part out and that too once you recover the first $1k from gutting all the easy stuff every dollar after that is not going to be easy.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
For 5 K you can find a decent running Spyder and save yourself a lot of work. If you want to spend the 1 K on this car then you will have all the parts you need to make the other one perfect and you should still be able to recover the 1 K by selling parts on this forum or eBAy. If the car was local to me I would give them 1K for it in a heartbeat but not with the intent of fixing it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Slightly destroyed... that's a bit of a contradiction, don't you think? This car is destroyed; there's no "slightly" about it. Just walk away from this one.

No wait... run.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
No good accident-related reason I can think of why the engine won't start... except for other issues.
You can probably determine very quickly whether that car is remotely fixable by running some measurements (top, bottom, diagonal) on the front end. The radiator support/etc in the front break (and fix) easily, the frame not so much. If the strut towers or the suspension mounting points are out of spec, it's a parts car. Specs are given in the Toyota shop manual a.k.a. BGB.

I still wonder - does that car have a front bumper? To get that far into the hood without pulling in the frame rails (and therefore the fenders) seems impossible to me if that car actually had the bumber reinforcement installed. And, if it didn't.... that really begs the question of "why not?"

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Slightly destroyed... that's a bit of a contradiction, don't you think? This car is destroyed; there's no "slightly" about it. Just walk away from this one.

No wait... run.
i also laughed at the 'slightly destroyed' term that was used...

For 5 K you can find a decent running Spyder and save yourself a lot of work. If you want to spend the 1 K on this car then you will have all the parts you need to make the other one perfect and you should still be able to recover the 1 K by selling parts on this forum or eBAy. If the car was local to me I would give them 1K for it in a heartbeat but not with the intent of fixing it.
i would buy this car... sell off the parts... chop off the rear end and make it into a towable trunk... i thought i saw a pic of this... could have sworn it was an MKI but can't find the pic online...

pass on it. I bought my car two years ago for $5400. it's a 2002 with 113k miles at the time. Don't waste the money of fixing when you can find a known good for less than the cost to buy then fix this.
:agree: i bought my '00 w/ 85k mi a month ago for ~6k... keep looking OP, you can find a car in your budget...

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Slightly destroyed is right up there with a little bit pregnant. The added info of the owner driving it a little bit after the accident is telling. It doesn't take long for an engine to go South without cooling. It could be seized as someone suggested.

I'm with the others on this. Look for a different car. There may be knowledgeable owners in your area that can look at a car with you.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
The last time i saw a spider that "slightly destroyed" it had scuttled across my floor and i stood on it.

Still, a good vet could have gotten it walking again......

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I dought that was a high speed accident, may have been just what he said. There was a recent thread about a older woman pulling in front of a spyder causing a fair amount of damage at very low speed. Not the pole crunch here but still pretty ugly and $$$ to repair. With out a known good engine I would not touch that car if you gave it to me. Having a lift is nice, I get some time on one here and there. Impact damage travels along in metal unlike glass which stays localized. There is more damage in this car than the eye sees. Possibly frame damage and with unitized construction it may never be RIGHT. That would be a shame for a spyder that is sensitive to change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.