MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been rebuilding a C60 for a few months now in whatever spare time I can find. Upon pressing everything back on the shafts I notice a slight misalignment on some of the gears. I have pressed out and pressed back in both shafts multiple times now making sure I have everything in place and was leaving no slack in between items and STILL i get the gap. For those who have done this, is this normal? In the first picture I am outlining where the offset lies. Whatevers below lines u perfectly. Sadly I went through my disassembly pictures and cannot find any that will show me this detail. Thanks for any and all advice!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
That doesn't look right. I wish I had better pictures of my gearbox before the case went back together. This is the best I got. If I can remember correctly, everything lined up perfectly. I replaced a bunch of gears with 2003+ versions and checked everything step by step according to the factory service manual when it came apart and went back together. As I followed the manual, I wrote down all the measurements right there on the print out. It's important to stay within spec on every measurement. It's hard to tell from your picture but where does it looks like it goes wrong? Is first and reverse lined up ok?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Somebody else had a similar issue. I can't recall how he resolved it. Look in this thread

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That doesn't look right. I wish I had better pictures of my gearbox before the case went back together. This is the best I got. If I can remember correctly, everything lined up perfectly. I replaced a bunch of gears with 2003+ versions and checked everything step by step according to the factory service manual when it came apart and went back together. As I followed the manual, I wrote down all the measurements right there on the print out. It's important to stay within spec on every measurement. It's hard to tell from your picture but where does it looks like it goes wrong? Is first and reverse lined up ok?
Hi Billy, everything else does line up well. I've had other feedback mentioning it's normal and that the important thing is that the C-RING indents in the bearings line up but I appreciate ALL feedback. My OCD has a problem with stuff not lining up perfectly so I'm inclined to keep digging around but part of my says that having disassembled and re-assembled evertything 2 or 3 times should be enough.

Somebody else had a similar issue. I can't recall how he resolved it. Look in this thread
Thanks Frank, i'll take a look. If all goes well I'm hoping to finish assembling this thing over the weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

At this point (just an hour ago being the latest attempt) I have disassembled/reassembled the shafts at least 4 times and every single time I get the offset. I'm following the Armstrong Family youtube rebuild videos which are pure gold and have made sure every single clip, spacer, bearing etc is there and installed correctly. I have only one more out, I did replace a part that I lost when I first disassembled the shaft. It is the first spacer in the output shaft that holds an itty bitty tiny metal ball in place at the base. I went ahead and ordered the replacement and with my luck the design thickness might have changed and I got sent a thicker one. I'm at a loss and probably shelving this for some time hoping I will think of something eventually.Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll see. I was thinking about just dropping in on my local toyota dealership and having a chat with the parts guy. My other option is to keep an eye out for another rebuildable core and buy it as cheaply as possible, take it apart and see, then rebuild it and flip it at some point. Thanks for the follow up Frank!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am new to transmission work so I might have not properly understood what you meant by this Frank. After watching one of the videos for what seems like the millionth time, I picked up on the fact that after installing the upper case, and before installing the bearing retainer plate, he lifts up the shafts to install C-rings below the bearings just like you say.

7:06 - if you freeze frame here you can see the offset on the uppermost gear just like i see in mine.
9:05 - shaft play to install C-Rings

Ima chalk it up to this and assemble. If everything spins freely then I will move on from this issue because its taken up wayyyy too much of my time. Thanks again, much appreciated!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Let us know how it goes once you drive it for a bit. I'm sure you're not alone if that misalignment is typical. It could have been that way when I assembled my c60 and I just forgot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts