MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im mentally preparing for my engine to be a paperweight so im trying to game plan for the worst outcome. Ive seen a bunch of 2zz carb legal threads, which will be a great reference if i decide to go that route. But wanted to explore some other avenues. Ive been searching around but it would be nice to have the pros and cons laid out in one thread.

Are there any easier swaps with other engines? electric conversions?

Thanks

-mv

·
Registered
519 Posts
An electric conversion will be easiest. Zero emissions means you can raise your middle finger high in the air to CARB.
Are you sure about that? This being California I wouldn’t be surprised.

As for the OPs question, things seem to be pretty rough. The rules about exhaust linear inches makes things challenging. I think you would need to find alternative mid-engine street cars that are CA legal, and research whether their components would work in the Spyder. The two that come to mind are a K-swap using Ariel Atom components(it that is at all feasible) or a 2-GR swap using Lotus Exige components.

As Funkycheeze said, electric is probably the most realistic after 2zz.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
The equal linear inches requirement can be met by adding bendd in the exhaust during the swap to produce same length exhaust as the donor.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
As long as you are talking Lotus 2GR there is also the Alfa 4c. Four-cylinder transverse should be a direct drop-in. I am trolling, of course.

To find a donor "exotic" is to dream the impossible dream. Just look what totaled examples sell for on copart.com - if you can even find one. I've seen a totaled Evora bid up to $60,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts