MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I believe yours is the cheaper one.and 02-up is the other.You may want to contact them just to make sure.I sent them an email and they responded quickly.I was quoted $380 USD shipped to NY for my 02.It looks like stock and I don't think an inspector would know it's not OEM.My local dealer wants $1100 LOL....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i sent them an email,

requesting for difference of two items
TOYOTA MR2 Roadster 1.8 VVTi 03/00-02/01 Catalytic Converter £149.99
TOYOTA MR2 Roadster 1.8 VVTi 03/00-12/06 Catalytic Converter £159.99

and... quote to ship, haha~

meanwhile... Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Post in Troubleshooting and figure out if it is the Main Cat ??..

Mine had 215K miles on it when I did my Tail Pipe snif test.. Passed ..

Compression is Good, and Injectors were about 15K Miles off of a Cleaned set..

Cap

·
Registered
555 Posts
i think my main cat's goner.

and i've been calling random muffler shops, they don't have a cat for me because it's not listed under:
https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

any suggestions?
would ANY stock CAT (used) work even if it's from out of state? if so, anyone selling?
If you need to "borrow" a stock cat to pass emissions, let me know :) I believe magnaflow DOES have a cat that's obdii-legal in california, but it's an arm and a leg (~$600).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
monkeywrench.com has the cali compliant units on there websitehttp://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1373

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
try 1sttoyota.com for best price on a oem new or hit up the wrecking yards for a used oem good luck they are very costly

·
Registered
555 Posts
there's no easy (and cost-efficient) way around this unfortunately =( there are three options IMO:

1 - buy a used cat (spyderchat/ebay/craigslist/wreckingyard) and hope that it has some good life remaining. this ranges between $50 to $400 used.

2 - replace it with a 49-state cat and borrow a cat with low miles only to pass emissions. iirc, a universal cat costed me about $200 welded (had to ship the cat through a friend out of state).

3 - use sparkplug antifouler (I have an extra one if you need one) to trick the ecu into thinking that thee catalytic efficiency is within it's tolerance specs.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
If I were you,

I would wait for a Che new Catted down pipe. Contact Che for availability and specifications meanwhile I would try to locate a used stock down pipe by looking through spyderchat for sale thread and Craigslist.

No matter what, you will need a stock DP to pass smog visually either by borrowing one or buying one. I wouldnt waste money on that European DP unless it was a performance DP used for not smog purposes.

From my experience, I had to mask my LR header by painting it and mounting the stock heat shields over it to pass smog visually! So I don't think that European DP has all the heat shields as the Dp's required to pass visually!!

Good luck
Rasheed

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
so, i can send to my friend in Oregon, then get the part and get it installed?
Yes. Just make sure you find a muffler shop that will let you bring you own cat in before you order.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts