MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
here a question, I did call the bar before i bought my 2zz spyder, he said it will not be legal to put a front wheel drive engine in a mid engine car. but I think it a round about way it was more about not messing with the exhaust manifold and the mid pipe that will not necessarily fit. so why not use lotus elise stuff? it should be easier and repinning the ecu?
You have to call a special number and speak to a person that knows what they are talking about. Also the only Elise that was not driveby wire was 2005. It also not possible to use a Celica GTS engine because of the intake. It's not just the engine you have to use the whole intake and EVAP canister from the donor.

The best donors are 2003 Matrix XRS and the Corolla S because the stock intake in easier to work in the spyder. Also it's best to find a pre 2004 donor because 2004+ has air injection.

You can't modify the exhaust manifold. You have to modify the subframe and use the unmodified exhaust manifold from the donor.

If you have a 2004 or 2005 it's much harder since you have to use a 2004+ donor.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Lol implying CA's emission rules weren't a net benefit to the entire country.
It's not that the other states had no emissions regulations. The real point is that the California rules are so strict that we can't do transplants that are actually just as clean as the original new car.

Dave

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
It's not that the other states had no emissions regulations. The real point is that the California rules are so strict that we can't do transplants that are actually just as clean as the original new car.

Dave
But we can. Outside of a few rules that are too restrictive, CA smog laws are relatively fair. The net benefits far outweigh the slight negatives of inconveniencing some car guys, and I say this as a person who has a turbo kit that's illegal in CA. Could they have been done better? Absolutely, but the negativity towards smog and CA's push for cleaner air are silly (not your post, the ones prefacing mine).

·
Registered
621 Posts
Absolutely, but the negativity towards smog and CA's push for cleaner air are silly (not your post, the ones prefacing mine).
I certainly don't disagree with this, but, car enthusiasts performing engine swaps make up a completely insignificant amount of the population. It really didn't make sense to go after swaps to the degree in which they did.

I liken it to the silly AR15 laws that CA has passed. Forcing gun owners to build an AR that looks like a broom handle isn't going to reduce mass shootings - and they know that. It will just deter people from even wanting to own them. If you can't ban something, regulate it out of existence over decades, and people remain placated.

This state wants you to own an EV and I cannot fathom what kind of stunts they will pull in the next 15 years to accomplish that. But it seems like more and more Californians are OK with governance on an absolute level.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Whenever you find something that you disagree with, instead of arguing the substance, argue some unrelated basic issue, like your fundamental god-given right to be a complete ass. You will win that argument every time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
that is definitely a lifesaver for 2zz Bar aspirants.

Maybe we need to compile all the 2zz BAR threads into a single reference thread and sticky it to this forum?
it's like, every month that someone posts about being effed by the BAR for their non-bar legal 2zz swap

·
Registered
9 Posts
In case the OP or any other 2zz Spyder owners would like a resource on certifying their engine change:

·
Registered
709 Posts
anyone around LA or Torrance area with a 2zz want to meet up? Looking for ways to get this legal want to see how everyone else did their swap

21 - 35 of 35 Posts