MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon Folks:

The restoration of my new-to-me 2001 Spyder continues. Because of repeated interior water incursion, today’s tasks: remove moldy old carpet and pad; sand surface rust from floor pans; prime and paint sanded areas; clean dirt, mold and mildew from rest of cockpit area.

While in the process of stripping the old carpet from my 2001 Spyder, in the rear of the cockpit directly behind where the (missing) driver’s seat would go, I noticed this small piece of what looks like to me to be part of the top, or top drain (SEE PICTURES). Does anyone know where this piece is supposed to go or why it is just laying loose?

General Location:

code [ img ] [ /img ]

Specific Location:

code [ img ] [ /img ]

Actual Loose Piece of Top/Drain Material:

code [ img ] [ /img ]

All input welcome!

I really want to stop the water from coming into my Spyder!

P.S. This is my first time trying to insert pictures into a thread...so bear with me.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I don't recognize the little loose piece. I expected to see a snap or grommet on the round end, which would make it part of the "ear" strap, or maybe the side cable attachment. I've had both pieces get torn loose from the ragtop material. Neither of those parts will contribute to leaking though.

I'd be more concerned about the loose corner of the rain bucket. That piece that's flapping loose is supposed to be attached to the cross rail I believe. I drew a red arrow where to pull up the loose flap.

Check the plastic drain grill at the bottom of the rain bucket to make sure the drain or the fabric surrounding the drain arent' torn loose.

Good for you, pulling the cabin carpet out. Whenever the cabin gets soaked, you must pull both seats and pull back all the cabin carpet and dig out the cotton rag insulation. If it gets soaked, it will never dry due to the plastic backing on the carpet.
You_Doodle_2017-06-01T02_02_29Z.jpg

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Yeah what CH said. I think that loose bit it some extra protection cloth, I forgot where it goes but I faintly remember it suppose to cover something or attached to the top on that side that is not round.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I can't help you with the plastic but...

Unfortunately I don't have a garage my Spyder lives outside year round. It's only a weekend driver now. I have a simple tarp with four bungie cords and I keep the car wrapped up when not driving. Water problems solved!

Dave

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It looks like one of the tabs that is cemented on the inside beside the rear window. I have no idea what it is for. It might be for stiffening. It does not look like a spot that would need reinforcement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Last weekend I pulled everything back on my top because the previous owner installed a new one and did a sub-standard job. I got all the hardware, straps, and springs tightened up and properly installed.

I found the exact piece that you are showing in your picture down in the passenger side drain, along with the springs and some hardware I needed, oh and some broken glass... It is old and worn with old adhesive on one side so I assumed it was part of the old top. I have no leaks in the new top and it seems to be functioning properly after my adjustments so I tossed the piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts