MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, hopefully it won't be long and there will be other Canadian MR2 owners beside myself. I think I must be one of the only Canadian MR2 Spyder owner, but like I said, more to come!

I think the car is an unknown quantity here. People are all on the JDM bandwagon right now (Skylines etc) and the MR2 Spyder is far far down what people are thinking of importing.

In my personal experience, I 'took a chance'. It wasn't really what I was thinking of buying when I flew in to LAX (I was thinking 350Z....). I also wonder how people who have never see the car or heard much about it will react to owning one?

On my drive back people were outright shocked. There was a lot of 90 degree head snapping, double takes all the way hope (especially in Canada) and it truly is a one of a kind car at the moment. If there's any Canadians reading this and you're on the fence about importing one, buying one, DO IT!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkday @ Jul 20 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Raw has one.[/b]

Raw is the man. I seen his post about totally re-doing the MR2 Spyder as a 'kit' car a long long time ago. Props! That's when the MR2 Spyder was 'illegal' to import into Canada (bumper laws are different from the US). But now they are harmonized and even mere mortals should be able to cross the border with them.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Took my Spyder up to an MR2 meet in Shannonville/Picton, ON two weekends ago. Got a very cold reception from the MR2 guys, but a lot of interest and "thumbs up" from many other Canadians. The most common answer to their asked question, "what is it", was that the car is the new MG. Many didn't believe me when I told them the truth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to buy one ... haven't found the right one yet, but I'm negotiating on one. I've driven about 8 now, including an SMT.

I thought I'd be the first .. I went down to Washington on July 5th after Transport Canada updated the eligibility list on the 4th! but wasn't happy with the selection I looked at.

I'm working on one right now, I'm buying it "sight unseen". I've had a lot of JDMs. 2 Skylines, a Sera, a Figaro, Celica GT-R, and a euro-spec 944 ... and something else but I can't remember for some reason.

Kaustein .. you should take a Figaro to a car show. You get all sorts of crazy comments. I think the most recent one I overheard was, "Must have been made by Nissan in Italy".

·
Registered
128 Posts
Zion,

How did the Federal Inspection go at Canadian Tire? Anything weird that they wanted? Kind of nice these cars already have DRL's standard.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delSol97 @ Jul 22 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Zion,

How did the Federal Inspection go at Canadian Tire? Anything weird that they wanted? Kind of nice these cars already have DRL's standard.[/b]
Haven't gone yet, I just got it and I know I have 45 days (I'm a procrastinator). I don't forsee any issues with the Fed inspection, it's the OOP that's the killer!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Brought mine home Saturday weee...

I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think there is a better one available. Bone-stock '03 with 16k miles. It is in absolutely mint condition. It exceeded my expectations....

US customs and Canadian customs were a breeze, it'll be interesting to see how the RIV/inspection part pans out. Sent all my docs in now I just wait I guess for the ok to get inspected.

It's going to be a long couple of weeks. I had about a 600km drive home in it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
great to hear a mr2 spyder up in Vancouver!

I'm also looking into getting one imported. Any tips or tricks that you can pass along now that you've found ur gem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sil300 @ Jul 28 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I'm also looking into getting one imported. Any tips or tricks that you can pass along now that you've found ur gem?[/b]
I'm actually in Kelowna.

I've looked at pretty much all of the ones that were available for sale in Washington State (at least on dealer lots) so I can provide any insight on those ones. Each one had issues of some sort but I can explain on particular ones if you'd like.

Half of the cars the rear fenders were crunched underneath between where the jack point is, where they thought it was when they lifted it wrong, and the wheel opening. I can provide more detail on that if you'd like.

Just make sure you have all your documentation on hand. Though US Customs never even looked at my car. They just took the Title, punched it in to the computer, waited about 30 seconds, asked me if *I* had confirmed the VIN matched and then sent me on my way.

Canadian customs was pretty easy too .. just filled out the Form 1, and paid the taxes. They spent more time talking about the car (as none had ever seen one before) then inspecting it ... had 4 of them looking at it.

I was in and out in no more than 40 minutes including both customs offices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delSol97 @ Jul 28 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sil300 @ Jul 28 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm also looking into getting one imported. Any tips or tricks that you can pass along now that you've found ur gem?[/b]
I'm actually in Kelowna.

I've looked at pretty much all of the ones that were available for sale in Washington State (at least on dealer lots) so I can provide any insight on those ones. Each one had issues of some sort but I can explain on particular ones if you'd like.

Half of the cars the rear fenders were crunched underneath between where the jack point is, where they thought it was when they lifted it wrong, and the wheel opening. I can provide more detail on that if you'd like.

Just make sure you have all your documentation on hand. Though US Customs never even looked at my car. They just took the Title, punched it in to the computer, waited about 30 seconds, asked me if *I* had confirmed the VIN matched and then sent me on my way.

Canadian customs was pretty easy too .. just filled out the Form 1, and paid the taxes. They spent more time talking about the car (as none had ever seen one before) then inspecting it ... had 4 of them looking at it.

I was in and out in no more than 40 minutes including both customs offices.
[/b][/quote]

so no problems getting the recall letter from Toyota?

Im thinking of going down to california to get one, as there are more available, and the prices seem to be a little cheaper ( i go there almost every year for vacation anyways.)

Did you find any promosing ones in washington that you might have purchased had you not found yours (with such low miles..wow)

Im looking for an earlier model, 5 speed manual, under 80k miles, and in any colour but green, or black.

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sil300 @ Jul 28 2008, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so no problems getting the recall letter from Toyota?

Im thinking of going down to california to get one, as there are more available, and the prices seem to be a little cheaper ( i go there almost every year for vacation anyways.)

Did you find any promosing ones in washington that you might have purchased had you not found yours (with such low miles..wow)

Im looking for an earlier model, 5 speed manual, under 80k miles, and in any colour but green, or black.[/b]
The dealer I bought it from went over to Toyota and got the "online printout" for me ahead of time. For the heck of it I got the one from calling Toyota USA as well. I called them, gave her the VIN, my address and phone number .. she paused after I told her I was Canadian .. then she said it would take about 1 business day. It came through on our fax machine *5 minutes!* later. Easy.

The reason you might want to consider an '03 or newer is because they already have the child seat tether anchorage in them. The earlier ones do not. I do not anticipate having to do any modifications for the Federal inspection but I'm still waiting for RIV to send the Form 2.

I tried buying the '03 with SMT from Biddle Chev, but they wouldn't negotiate at all. It had a fairly substantial dent (missed jack point damage) underneath that bent the lower fender. Fixable .. and otherwise good shape. It was probably the NEXT BEST one that is still for sale. It's just compared to what I paid for mine, I wouldn't want to give them more than $14k for that one.

I wasted a lot of time at Michael's Toyota, they had a couple of good ones, but because they were Toyota *CERTIFIED* Used they wouldn't sell to a Canadian. So avoid any that are at Toyota dealers that are CERTIFIED.

Fortunately my '03 wasn't sold until May of 04 so I still have about 10 months of factory power-train warranty left. That was important to me, in case I bought a "dud".

I think in the long run it was worth paying the extra $3-4k more for my low mileage '03 than one of the earlier cars.... but yes, I agree the ones in California do look cheaper.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They are going to become even more rare here in the states now that you Canadians are going to grabbing into the pot!

Hope you enjoy

Is the Red MKII turbo from a little outside Vancouver that I saw at the Portland, Two's cruise on here?

·
Registered
128 Posts
... got my FORM 2 from RIV. Now it's just a matter of passing the inspection.

Strangely enough it says that the child seat anchor stuff does not apply if the car is a convertible ... it also states the car is 5-passenger....

Otherwise it's just check for DRL's, French airbag stickers (which the car already has) so I'm not expecting any trouble.

Should have a fully registered and BC-plated MR2 in the next day. Wee!

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delSol97 @ Jul 31 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Strangely enough it says that the child seat anchor stuff does not apply if the car is a convertible ... it also states the car is 5-passenger....

Otherwise it's just check for DRL's, French airbag stickers (which the car already has) so I'm not expecting any trouble.

Should have a fully registered and BC-plated MR2 in the next day. Wee![/b]
I'm done, fully registered/plated.

ICBC had a bit of problem because the car wasn't in the system (it is now) and they didn't have a weight for it. Apparently it was quite important .. so I had to wait another 20 mins. They ended up calling Toyota USA and accepted whatever they told them.

Regardless, its DONE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delSol97 @ Aug 1 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delSol97 @ Jul 31 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should have a fully registered and BC-plated MR2 in the next day. Wee![/b]
I'm done, fully registered/plated.

ICBC had a bit of problem because the car wasn't in the system (it is now) and they didn't have a weight for it. Apparently it was quite important .. so I had to wait another 20 mins. They ended up calling Toyota USA and accepted whatever they told them.

Regardless, its DONE!
[/b][/quote]

Congrats! Thanks for the little updates. The info will come in handy when i finally found one to import myself :icon_thumright:

1 - 20 of 488 Posts
About this Discussion
487 Replies
80 Participants
sal
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing